PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with scraps - Cutting Board

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2007, 1:10 AM
Had a guy at work that wanted one of my end-grain cutting boards. I had some pieces of stock laying around and this is what I came up with. I never plan how the pattern will be, I just make it, flip it, sand it, and deliver it. I kinda like this one. :D

Cherry, Maple, and Walnut

Randy Davidson
12-15-2007, 7:47 AM
I like the pattern Dennis. Cutting boards are on my list also. Maybe help cleanup some of the scraps and quit using some (do I really need to keep this)
cutoffs for kindling and make something useful.

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2007, 8:45 AM
I like the pattern Dennis. Cutting boards are on my list also. Maybe help cleanup some of the scraps and quit using some (do I really need to keep this)
cutoffs for kindling and make something useful.

I hear ya Randy!!! All those little "stashes" of wood really do add up to some significant space consumption. Besides, people really seem to like this type of cutting board as opposed to the "plain" ones you get out of the local BB stores for cheap.

Bill Huber
12-15-2007, 9:01 AM
You know I think that some of my best looking boards are from the scrap.

I was thinking maybe we should start a thread for just Show Me Your Cutting Boards.

The thread should be a big one as many small threads that we have had on the subject.

What is the darker of the light woods, I like the color?

Gary Keedwell
12-15-2007, 11:15 AM
All these years I never really gave it much thought. Making a cutting board was simply not on my radar screen. Anyways, with all the posts this year showing cutting boards, I started looking for them when LOML and I go out cruising the stores. Ya know something??? There aren't very many end grained boards out there. So I decided to make one from purple heart and maple.
I'll tell you...it sure looks nice on the kitchen counter. Has anybody done some searches on the net for a decent end grain cutting boards? Some of the nice ones go around $150-200 bucks:eek::D
Sure made me feel better about buying that 8/4 Purpleh$art. LOL
Gary

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-15-2007, 1:40 PM
Nice board. It looks like you planned or or at least imposed some order on it.

Glenn Clabo
12-15-2007, 2:03 PM
I kinda like this one. :D

Just "kinda"?...I more than "kinda" like it...I like it real good.:D

Jim Kountz
12-15-2007, 2:29 PM
Nice board Dennis, just for fun one could play a demented version of chess on that thing!!:D:D:D:D
Nice job on it!!

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2007, 2:29 PM
Just "kinda"?...I more than "kinda" like it...I like it real good.:D

I think I'll remember that Glenn. ;)

Gary Muto
12-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Nice work. I like you selection of materials too.