PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster/Palmdale California

Bryan Rocker
12-14-2007, 9:56 PM
Good evening fellow Creekers. As I approach retirement from the military in the spring I have considered moving to the Palmdale/Lancaster California area. Are there any Creekers out in this area who could share their opinions of the area both good and bad.

Thanks

Bryan

W Craig Wilson
12-14-2007, 11:05 PM
I was stationed at George AFB (Victorville) for 6 years. The wind across the high desert is incredible and seems top blow most of the year round. Folks there about have their own view of the world - a bit self-centered for my tastes. We much preferred our 6 years in Tucson AZ to the time in CA.

( By the way - I grew up in Springfield OH.)

David G Baker
12-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Not sure what your financial situation is or will be after you retire, California is expensive. Depending on what your career was in the military you may land a lucrative job and afford the cost.

Martin Shupe
12-15-2007, 11:58 PM
I lived in Lancaster for two years. I found it to be a pleasant place to live. It is hot in the summer, but it's a dry heat. :rolleyes: It can be windy, very windy. Winter was short, not much change of seasons. Not many trees, either. Well, there were lots of Joshua trees. You are living in a big sandbox. Furniture grade lumber will be expensive, and with limited selection, so bring it with you.

When I was there, the housing market had just had a downturn, and there were half constructed homes abandoned in several parts of town.

There were sections of Lancaster that were controlled by gangs, and I was told where not to go at night. You might check that out with the police before you buy a house. There is also a large prison there, and that brings the prisoner's families to live nearby.

There was plenty of shopping nearby for the wife, and the entire LA basin is just over the hill. Personally, "LA's not my kind of town" as the song goes.

If you are retired military, Edwards is just up the road. I got to watch the shuttle land once, that was really cool.

Tehachapi (sp?) is a nice place to visit, just up the hill, past the windmill farm.

There is lots of recreational/outdoors stuff within a few hours, but hunting opportunities seemed to be limited.

My wife's from Amarillo, with a pronounced Texas accent. She was shopping one day, and a lady asked her where she was from. She said she was from Lancaster. "No you're not." was the quick reply.

My wife says it was a great place to live if you want to spend weekends touring CA. We did that as much as possible.

When we lived there, we were in a small apartment. We used to have Thanksgiving dinner at Marie Calendar's. Great food, great pies.

Oh, and don't forget the In and Out Burgers, "double double with cheese".

Fox field is at the north side of town. You can walk and fish in a park there, and watch the airtankers takeoff and land during fire season, which lasts from Feb. to Dec.

B-2's used to fly overhead all the time, not sure if they do that so much anymore.

Craig Earls
12-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I am on active duty now stationed in Tucson (but Navy, not Air Force). I was born and raised in Lancaster and my parents still live there, so we visit a few times per year. The town is not so bad, but the cost of living is outrageous for what you get. I can't comment on the locals attitude as it seems everyone I grew up with left, except for my parents. Make sure you can stomach California taxes and politics if you move there...

Bryan Rocker
12-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I must admit that I have come to enjoy my 15 min or less commutes to work I have had since I moved back to the states 10 years ago. I find the region a definite mixed bag.:)