PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Cases and tools

Anthony Scira
12-14-2007, 8:22 PM
Well after markingall my metal tools I would like to try my drills, cases and batterys. Does anyone know what they are made of ? I know PVC is a no no.

Anyone know what these things are made of ???

Joe Pelonio
12-14-2007, 9:31 PM
That could vary greatly, but the look and feel is polypropylene which should be safe but I don't know how you'd find out for sure.

Mike Null
12-14-2007, 9:59 PM
If they were mine I'd engrave then regardless. You have less than an hours worth of engraving to do.

I do agree with Joe about the material though.

Mike Marcade
12-14-2007, 11:01 PM
The blow molded cases should be Polyethylene. The tools themselves are most often molded from ABS. If you split the housings on one of the tools you will see something like >ABS< This is the ISO 11469 material marking for whatever material it is actually molded from. If it was polypropylene it would be >PP< Nylon would be >PA66< or the like.

Hope it helps.

Eric Allen
12-15-2007, 4:32 AM
The blow molded cases should be Polyethylene. The tools themselves are most often molded from ABS. If you split the housings on one of the tools you will see something like >ABS< This is the ISO 11469 material marking for whatever material it is actually molded from. If it was polypropylene it would be >PP< Nylon would be >PA66< or the like.

Hope it helps.

Would PVC be marked as PVC, or would it be like nylon and have some sort of code that wasn't as easy to logic out? PA66 would have meant nothing to me prior to your post:)

Mike Marcade
12-15-2007, 10:41 AM
PVC would be marked >PVC< and/or the number 3 inside the recycling symbol with either PVC or V marked underneath it.

If it is something manufactured in the last 5 years, it is unlikely it is PVC.

Nylon is PA because Nylon is just the Dupont name for PolyAmide.

Anthony Scira
12-15-2007, 5:31 PM
Man you guys are a smart bunch. Would have never known about the codes in the plastic !

Thanks again !
:D

Eric Allen
12-15-2007, 8:21 PM
Man you guys are a smart bunch. Would have never known about the codes in the plastic !

Thanks again !
:D

Heh, I'll second that! Thanks to Mike I may not be bald from tearing my hair out trying to find out what the customer is bringing me:) I didn't know when I signed on to this lifestyle that I'd have to become a chemist, this will take a little of the sphincter pucker factor out of plastics for me:D