PDA

View Full Version : Question about award plaque

Ron Nametko
12-14-2007, 5:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm making my 1st award plaque. (9x12) I was wondering if anyone had any advise on how to properly align the plate to the plaque so that it is square and aligned properly. The tape doesn't appear to be very forgiving once it's down.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Joe Pelonio
12-14-2007, 5:56 PM
There are probably many ways that different people use. You can place it down with the adhesive liner still on, measure carefully, mark the top edge with masking tape, mark the left and right edges with a pen on the masking tape, then peel the back and use the masking tape as a guide.

I also may do it as I do vinyl, measure to get it in the right position, then hinge the top with masking tape. Flip it up, peel the backing, flip down.

Stephen Beckham
12-14-2007, 7:18 PM
Ron,

Precise and slow movements - I hold the sides by fingertips of of one finger on each side and finesse it into place. The first 40 - you'll replace a couple... After you waste a few - you'll do okay - but still waste one every now and then.

Your key might be to practice with masking or scotch tape and place a few to get the hang of it (practice plate and plaque). More forgiving - will allow you to step back and look at it, peel it and do it again. Once you start seeing whether you are 'lean to the right' or a 'lean to the left' guy, correct your stance, hold your mouth just right, close your eyes (maybe skip this step) and jam it on there...:eek:

Oh - BTW - even after you have stuck 100 or so and you're pretty good at it, when the customer stands and watches - Murphys is watching too!:D

Scott Shepherd
12-14-2007, 7:27 PM
I made a little template. Take a piece of clear acrylic, cut out the shape of the piece to put on, and then oversize on the overall. Make a couple of pieces to come down and hit the edge and you're set. Slide the template on top of the wood piece, bump it against the edges, and then drop the engraved part through the hole you cut and it'll be perfect every time.

Mike Null
12-14-2007, 7:38 PM
I used to use templates and I quit several years ago. A standard plaque has a plate 1" smaller than the plaque on all sides. A 9x12 plaque would have a 7x10 plate. I align the top at one inch (eyeball measurement) center it and drop it. I like it much better than templates. If you do make a mistake you'll see it before you press it down and you can remove the plate with fishing line without scratching anything.

If the plate is a different size I measure down from the top, use a piece of tape to mark it and go from there.

Ron Nametko
12-15-2007, 7:59 PM
THANK YOU! The plaques came out excellent thanks to everyone on this forum. I would post a picture but I delivered it and then thought..Take a picture...Always learning always learning

Thank You
Ron

Levi Chanowitz
12-16-2007, 4:51 PM
I made a little template. Take a piece of clear acrylic, cut out the shape of the piece to put on, and then oversize on the overall. Make a couple of pieces to come down and hit the edge and you're set. Slide the template on top of the wood piece, bump it against the edges, and then drop the engraved part through the hole you cut and it'll be perfect every time.

I dont get it! could you repeat it again, just slower, and use more words?

Keith Outten
12-17-2007, 6:33 AM
I use three small clamps. One at the top and one each at the left and right edges. A bit of measuring to get the proper standoff dimension is required to set the clamps but once they are set I insert the plaque plate nudging the top clamp and set it down slowly between the two side clamps. If I have several plaques that are identical I make a template and cut it in half.

Levi Chanowitz
12-17-2007, 10:27 AM
that is ingenious! Are they C clamps?

Brian Robison
12-18-2007, 3:34 PM
I do something very similar to Scott.
I have a piece of plywood with 2 pieces of wood glued and nailed to them at a right angle in the upper left corner. They are raised enough so that when I place it in the laser it 0,0's on the corner of the plywood. This allows for odd shaped sides on plaque or other materials to stop at the 0,0 point on the fixture that matches the 0,0 point of the laser (clear as mud). I also use this fixture for centering brass. I make a new fixture from plastic on the laser. If for example I have a 8 x 10 plaque, I make a fixture roughly that size. Make my corel page exactly 8 x 10 and then a hairline box the size of the brass. I center the box, put a 0,0 on the fixture in the upper left corner and cut it out. Now I place the plaque on the plywood fixture, place the plaque in the 0,0 corner, place the plastic fixture in the 0,0 corner and then I can set my brass perfect.

Levi Chanowitz
12-23-2007, 1:33 PM
clear as mud. do you have a picture?

James Jaragosky
12-23-2007, 1:43 PM
I do something very similar to Scott.
I have a piece of plywood with 2 pieces of wood glued and nailed to them at a right angle in the upper left corner. They are raised enough so that when I place it in the laser it 0,0's on the corner of the plywood. This allows for odd shaped sides on plaque or other materials to stop at the 0,0 point on the fixture that matches the 0,0 point of the laser (clear as mud). I also use this fixture for centering brass. I make a new fixture from plastic on the laser. If for example I have a 8 x 10 plaque, I make a fixture roughly that size. Make my corel page exactly 8 x 10 and then a hairline box the size of the brass. I center the box, put a 0,0 on the fixture in the upper left corner and cut it out. Now I place the plaque on the plywood fixture, place the plaque in the 0,0 corner, place the plastic fixture in the 0,0 corner and then I can set my brass perfect.
Could you explain that in English please???:confused::eek::confused::o;):rolleyes:

Mark Winlund
12-23-2007, 2:06 PM
Ron,

Precise and slow movements - I hold the sides by fingertips of of one finger on each side and finesse it into place. The first 40 - you'll replace a couple... After you waste a few - you'll do okay - but still waste one every now and then.

Steve has it right. It's all in the fingertips. After the first 10,000 plaques, you'll be doing it in your sleep!:D

George M. Perzel
12-23-2007, 6:36 PM
Hi Guys;
I do it using Mike Nulss's method= eyeball it and let it fall as it may. If it's a little off, I tell the customer it's a custom fit and has character!!
If anyone is that particular I immediately tell them they are no longer welcome as a customer- really cuts down on the business but also the complaints!!
Best regards;
George
LaserArts