PDA

View Full Version : routers and tables and lifts, oh my

Tom Joad
12-14-2007, 4:43 PM
I started my research on router tables and ended up that the best solution for me was a BenchDog Cast Iron extension table for my TS. In that research I determines that the Porter Cable 7518 was the machine to install in it, it have found plenty of assurances that the two will fit together with no adaptation required.
In reading about router tables the major complaint is bit change (above the table is best) and height adjustment ( above or on the table top is best) I like the looks and the precision of the Incra Magna lock. it fits the previous requirements. I can find references for the Porter cable to fit the lift, I can find no confirmation that the lift will fit the table.
Before I fork out almost a thousand dollars for this collection i would like to know if I am going to have to be working over that cast iron table to reshape the table for the Incra or building some kind of adapter to fill in. I would hate to spend this kind of money to end up with cobble job

Tim Marks
12-14-2007, 6:06 PM
I like the looks and the precision of the Incra Magna lock. it fits the previous requirements. I can find references for the Porter cable to fit the lift, I can find no confirmation that the lift will fit the table.
I am guessing that you are actually talking about the Incra Mast-R-Lift, which allows you to install Incra Magna Lock rings. The plate will not fit unless you can mill it to size; the incra plate is 9-1/4" x 11-3/4", and the Benchdog uses a 8-1/4"x11-3/4" plates.

However, the Incra Mast_R_Lift is ACTUALLY the Jessem Mast_R_Lift, which you can buy in the 02102 model, which is sized for the Benchdog table. Unfortionately, the Jessem version seems to use normal screw-in rings rather then the Incra magna-lock variety.

The Incra is definitely not the only router lift to allow above table bit changes. All the Woodpecker ones, Jessem ones, BenchDog, etc. allow this. If it has a removable ring or plate, then you can. In fact, I have been using a PC892 router, and the fixed base bolted to the bottom of a table also allows above table height and router changes (I used it on a woodpecker plate). You don't need a router lift in this arrangement, but I am not real happy with it.

The magnetic rings on the Incra is a nice gimmick; I think I like it better then the Woodpecker rings, which I was always afraid would gall and freeze (which never happened, BTW). But I don't think that the Incra rings are higher precision then the Woodpecker; the manufactured aluminum woodpecker rings come with alot more hole sizes to allow you a closer fit to the bit (and are a pretty nice looking piece of precision machining rather then stamped SS plates). I will let you know what I think of the bench dog lift when I get it to install in my new Bench Dog cast-iron table wing (both at 20% off from Amazon, BTW with the purchase of a $15 or so power tool).

I intended to buy a Woodpecker PRL lift. Since I had to go with a TS mounter router table, I felt that the Bench Dog was the only way to go (it is a very well manufactured table, BTW). That pretty much changed my focus to the BenchDog Pro Lift.

glenn bradley
12-14-2007, 6:42 PM
My extension wing RT is larger than the BD cast iron extension and was designed to be modified for the PRL which is the lift I am yearning for. The BD cast iron wing and lift are quality products but I would not be inclined to try to modify the BD opening for a non-BD lift. If you want a different lift I would make it easier on yourself and pick a different table/wing. IMHO.

Kevin Groenke
12-14-2007, 9:15 PM
After struggling with our old shop made router table w/fixed base PC7518 a lot in the past few weeks(I hate that thumbscrew!!) I bit the bullet and ordered a BD promax and prolift.

The top arrived today and though the quality seems top notch, it's quite a bit smaller than our old set-up (24x32). I'm thinking of making a surround or even dropping the promax into a 1-3/4 x 24 X 36" maple top I have hanging around.

Has anybody done this?
Is there a reason not to do this that I'm not thinking of? (miter slot will have to be dealt with, would be nice to get a full length extrusion)

Do you ever feel the promax is too small?

Do you ever find the travel of the fence to be limiting?
(If I drop the promax into a larger top I'm thinking of mortising in slotted steel inserts to get additional capacity behind the router)

Does anybody make a larger CI router table top?

Thanks,
kg

Tim Marks
12-14-2007, 9:23 PM
funny you should mention that. Just stumbled on a post about a setup like that on that OTHER board a few minutes ago. I will PM you since linking is forbidden by the wood gods.:D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=77137&stc=1&d=1197685327