PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic band saw

Rob Bourgeois
02-20-2004, 2:46 PM
Does anyone have an opions or first hand experience with a powermatic 14 in bandsaw.? I am looking for a saw that will resaw some, and will last for years. I curently dont have a bandsaw. I will be doing some minor curves on it also (for rocking horses and chairs) I have read some reviews that suggest this is a heck of a saw. The sales guy was telling me how great it was even after I told him I had 3 lower prices. He said "it will cut anything, any kind of way you want."

I have been looking at 14 in bandsaws and it looks to be a good saw. It has 1.5 HP motor and it has cast iron wheels. Comes with a Carter quick tension release lever and a closed base saw.

I curently can have it deliver to the shipping terminal for $784. I was also told by several diferent places that the price on JET and powermatic will be increasing on March 1st.

jet 14 now 510 on march 1st 585, jet 14 deluxe 600 march 1st 695.
PM 14 up a hundred on March 1st. Just a warning if you are planning any large purchases. The purpose of the increase is to macth the falling dollar compared to other currency if you trust the sales guy.

Rob..I appreciate your thougth on the PM 14 Thanks.

Aaron Heck
02-20-2004, 2:50 PM
I don't have any experiece with this BS, but I think there are a few users over on Woodnet who have it and really like it. As far as 14" saws go, that one has to be king, maybe behind the Laguna. It has pretty much everything you could ask for.

If you can stretch the budget, take a look at the new Bridgewood 17" saw. I think it goes for $899. If you can scrape up a few more bucks, that might be another option which would even more-so future-proof the purchase, in my opinion. I know there's also a bunch of guys on here that are really happy with their $750 Grizzly 17" saw.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Aaron