PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum or Steel Knife Holders for Shaper

Rich Schneider
12-14-2007, 3:11 PM
I have been look at buying a new knife holder (insert tool holder) for my shaper. All of my knives have corrugated backs. I noticed that there are a couple of companies manufacturing their knife holders out of aluminum. I'm concerned about a couple of things 1) wear problems between the steel knives corrugations and the aluminum holder corrugations and 2) the difference in mass between the steel heads and the aluminum heads is incredible..does it make a big difference in the way the shaper runs/operates? Would like to hear opinions from others with aluminum and/or steel knife holders.

Bart Leetch
12-14-2007, 4:11 PM
If I understand you right your using a central hub style knife holder that holds 2 knives. If this is so I would stay with the steel hub. I don't like to mix aluminum & steel especially in high speed applications where aluminum & set screws are combined. The idea of aluminum & steel threaded together spinning at high speed does not thrill me at all.

Scott Whiting
12-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Assuming you are using standard 1/4" or 5/16" thick corrugated moulder knife stock I would stick with a steel head. I have several customers using aluminum heads with the thin disposable inserts.