PDA

View Full Version : Router plane use

harry strasil
12-14-2007, 3:04 PM
When using router planes cross grain, if its a stanley or clone skew the body so the blade is skewed like you would a chisel or plane, if you have round stemmed blades like I make for my shop made ones, you cans skew the blade itself or make a skew angle cutter like is in my Tenon router below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=3970

jonathan snyder
12-15-2007, 1:49 AM
Thats a good tip Harry. Nice tenon router. I recently used a #71 to fine tune some large tenons for my workbench base. I had never used a router plane for this before. It worked great.

Is it considered sacrilege to to attach plywood to a an old tool?? Oh well, it was handy, flat, and the right thickness.

Jonathan

Rolf Safferthal
12-15-2007, 6:46 AM
Nice plane - nice idea!

Does it work the same way like the pointed cutter on a new Veritas router plane?

Rolf

John Guarino
12-15-2007, 2:03 PM
Clever idea, that little rig. I'd be concerned about white latex rubbing off and interfering with the joint. Unless it's a photo taken in very bright light and I am seeing it wrong.

As for sacrilege, I'd say no if it's a recently made router. Even if it's old, not really sacrilegeous if you get the pl*w**d off it before someone sees. Oops, caught on camera. :mad:

jonathan snyder
12-15-2007, 7:44 PM
Clever idea, that little rig. I'd be concerned about white latex rubbing off and interfering with the joint. Unless it's a photo taken in very bright light and I am seeing it wrong.

NO latex. Just a piece of melamine covered 1/2" plywood. Now that I know it works so well, I plane to make a couple of different size bases out of something nicer. At least until my tenon sawing skills improve:D.

Jonathan

harry strasil
12-15-2007, 8:30 PM
Rolf, I have no idea, I never liked the pointed cutter on my stanley, I prefer the skew angle, it cuts just like a skew chisel or a skew angle plane. In cross grain work depending on the depth setting and the sharpness it will make shavings like a plane.