PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 79 modification

harry strasil
12-14-2007, 2:47 PM
Stanley 79, with shopmade SS dovetail fence.

Derek Cohen
12-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi Harry

I've been thinking along these lines - very similar ideas for a mod - to cut the female section of a dovetail. Is that what you planned?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
12-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Stanley 79, with shopmade SS dovetail fence.

For some reason I can not get the picture to expand. The log in screen keeps popping up.

Looks great in the small pic though. I have thought of doing something like this for my 98 & 99. Maybe a 79 is better because only one is needed.

Jim

Jim Koepke
12-15-2007, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=Derek Cohen;719295]Hi Harry

I've been thinking along these lines - very similar ideas for a mod - to cut the female section of a dovetail. Is that what you planned?

It should work on both sides of a sliding dovetail be they pins or tails.

Jim

Mark Stutz
12-15-2007, 1:14 PM
How about some action PICS, Harry. I have a bit of difficulty visualizing this. Derek, I'm looking forward to your results. I've tried to cut the female portion with a saw...a disaster, but because my sawing skills need help.

Mark

harry strasil
12-15-2007, 8:46 PM
Yes, that was my original intention, then I started sawing and then planing to smooth out.

picture 1. for Mark, This is my sawing guide Mark, one side 10° the other 20°, first I use a square or straight edge and using a sharp marking knife mark a line then make it a bit deeper, then using the knife or a sharp chisel I take out a little tapered shaving on waste side. Set my saw into the cut slide the gauge up to it so its flush against the saw, then clamp it in place and keeping the saw against the gage, make the cut.

picture 2. is a sanding block with sanding belt strips glued to the two dovetail angles that I use sometimes to finish the dovetail if its close or to touch up a tight spot.

harry strasil
12-15-2007, 8:55 PM
actual pics in use. they got mixed up in posting last one should be first.

Mark Stutz
12-15-2007, 9:46 PM
Thanks, Harry. Looks like I'll have to make a guide block for the saw.

Mark

Derek Cohen
12-16-2007, 8:11 AM
Mark

Page doen this link for a pictorial on cutting a sliding dovetail. I also show the use of a #79 (does not have a fence tho"). It does show using a fence for the saw.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/z_art/LVRouterPlane/lvRouter2.asp

Regards from Perth

Derek