PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw runout?

Wade Lippman
12-14-2007, 12:23 PM
In 1999 FWW found no measurable runout on a Unisaw. In 2006 they it was the highest of the 7 cabinet saws they tested. Did they just get a bad saw or has Unisaw quality sunk beneath their competitors?

Gary Keedwell
12-14-2007, 12:37 PM
In 1999 FWW found no measurable runout on a Unisaw. In 2006 they it was the highest of the 7 cabinet saws they tested. Did they just get a bad saw or has Unisaw quality sunk beneath their competitors?
Could be the later. If I knew in the mid-90's what I know today, I would not have a Uni in my basement shop. I'll never forget how depressed I felt when I put my new Starrett 4' straight edge on the top surface. When I move again, I doubt very much that my table saw will be invited to go with me.;)
Gary

Eddie Darby
12-15-2007, 5:52 AM
In order for these measurements to mean anything, you need to collect a lot of data, otherwise you could be getting an anomaly reading.
If had the test results coming off the production line, then you could make heads or tails of the whole situation.
When I bought my saw, the run-out for each machine was printed on a piece of paper, so you knew what you were getting.

Mike Marcade
12-15-2007, 11:08 AM
In my opinion, Delta quality is going down in general. Keep in mind I don't have any hard data to back this up, it is just a general feeling of perceived quality.

Bruce Wrenn
12-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Could be the later. If I knew in the mid-90's what I know today, I would not have a Uni in my basement shop. I'll never forget how depressed I felt when I put my new Starrett 4' straight edge on the top surface. When I move again, I doubt very much that my table saw will be invited to go with me.;)
GaryMore important is - How does your saw cut? I'm willing to bet that the top of your saw is flatter than any wood you pass over it.

Gary Keedwell
12-15-2007, 11:12 PM
More important is - How does your saw cut? I'm willing to bet that the top of your saw is flatter than any wood you pass over it.
How much you wanna bet? I have checked out other saw tops like the Steel City and I have seen nothing as bad as my Uni. Don't get me wrong...the saw cuts great but how much effort would it take for the manufacturer to do a better job. I'm even hesitant to use it as an assembly table:(
Gary