PDA

View Full Version : Planing Short but Full Width/Normal Thickness Pieces?

John Newell
12-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Would love confirmation (or correction, if wrong) that there are no issues putting stock that's approximately 8" wide x 7/8" thick but only about a foot long through a benchtop planer (DW734, to be specific)?

Jim W. White
12-14-2007, 12:14 PM
I can do 1' long peices on my Delta 12 1/2" (20-365) with no problem if I take nice light passes. That's about as short of a length as I would possibly go though IMHO.

Jim in Idaho

Bill White
12-14-2007, 12:18 PM
I do it with a sled. Prevents kickback.
Bill

Alan Schwabacher
12-14-2007, 12:33 PM
It should be at least several inches longer than the distance between the hold down/feed rollers. If it can lift between rollers, that's very bad.

Jason Beam
12-14-2007, 12:53 PM
The manual for my 734 says no less than 12". :)

Gary Keedwell
12-14-2007, 1:01 PM
Would love confirmation (or correction, if wrong) that there are no issues putting stock that's approximately 8" wide x 7/8" thick but only about a foot long through a benchtop planer (DW734, to be specific)?
What I usually do if I really HAVE to do a short piece is mill a board ( I have alot of poplar hanging around) the exact thickness and use that board as a "trailer" meaning I actually put it against the end of the short board and kind of gently push it through, standing safely as far out of shooting range as I usually practice.:)
Disclaimer: I only do this method occasionally and use extreme caution.

Gary

John Newell
12-14-2007, 2:43 PM
It should be at least several inches longer than the distance between the hold down/feed rollers. If it can lift between rollers, that's very bad.

That sounds right. I think I'm ok...especially because...

The manual for my 734 says no less than 12". :)

That number was in my head...now I know why. I *did* read the manual on this one before I used it, which is not always the case!