PDA

View Full Version : High Gloss Blue Plastic for Laser?

william kennington
12-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Hellow Creekers and Merry Christmas!
Anyone know where to find a Dark Blue/white Laser engraving plastic with a Glossy finish? I have tried Rowmark, Johnsons, JDS and only find the blue I need in a matt or satin finish. I need it for a customers name badges. Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Pinnacle M30, Corel X3, Photograv....and lots of luck!

David Lavaneri
12-14-2007, 11:11 AM
William,

Even though some Rowmark material isn't advertised as laserable, with the proper settings (and sometimes multiple engraving passes) it's possible to use a material such as "Slickers" for laser engraving.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Joe Pelonio
12-14-2007, 11:17 AM
William,

Even though some Rowmark material isn't advertised as laserable, with the proper settings (and sometimes multiple engraving passes) it's possible to use a material such as "Slickers" for laser engraving.

I have done that, it takes more power and slower speed but does work. You could also try spraying the matte with Krylon clear gloss.

David Lavaneri
12-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Joe,

Sometimes material not designated for laser engraving can look a little warped or melted.

With some finessing of the power speed settings that effect can be mitigated.

A good way around that is to use reverse-engravable material, where that imperfection is on the side that nobody sees.

Joe Pelonio
12-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Joe,

Sometimes material not designated for laser engraving can look a little warped or melted.

With some finessing of the power speed settings that effect can be mitigated.

A good way around that is to use reverse-engravable material, where that imperfection is on the side that nobody sees.

Thanks for mentioning that, I should have. I regularly do name plates on the non-laserable blue and gray, and they are arched when done but slide into frames so it doesn't matter. Less power and multiple passes helps reduce the warping.