PDA

View Full Version : New tablesaw motor

Jack Clay
12-14-2007, 10:20 AM
I am rebuilding a Unisaw and I am at the point to buy a new motor. I can find a direct replacement motor from Lesson. Dose anybody have one of these motors? Can you recommend a different motor,thanks for the help.

Cary Falk
12-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I put a Baldor from Plaza Machinery in mine. It was a little more expensive than the Leeson. I haven't heard anything negative about Leeson. You can also get a Marathon motor from Woodworkers Supply for a pretty reasonable price. I haven't heard anything either way on the Marathon. I think the Leeson is made in the USA. I'm not sure about Marathon but I think they are too.

Bob Vallaster
12-14-2007, 3:56 PM
I have a Leeson 2hp/220v unit on mine. Got it from Electric Motor Warehouse in one of the Carolinas 5-6 years ago. Great price. No regrets.

Bob V

Chuck Burns
12-15-2007, 11:37 PM
I put a 2 HP Baldor on a 1945-1950 vintage Ingersol Rand Type 30 compressor about 25 years ago. It replaced a 3 phase 5HP motor. I used the same pulley size as the 5 HP and that unit has been compressing away since then. At 175 psi it pulls it's rated amperage of 11 amps but it doesn't get hot. I've never had a Baldor fail on me. And my local electric motor repair center thinks they are the best. Unless the Baldor was a whole lot more money I'd go with the Baldor. We have a lot of them at work and run them 24/7. Just plain great motors.

Jack Clay
01-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I have narrowed the search down to two motors. A 4 HP Leeson and a 3 HP Baldor, has anybody used these motors?

Chuck Burns
01-03-2008, 1:42 AM
I have a buddy who is a high end commercial/industrial electrician. He recomends Baldor and it's what he installs on his own equipment. my 25 year old Baldor on my compressor is going strong. Even if it's more money I'd go with the Baldor.