PDA

View Full Version : Game call questions

Jack Clay
12-14-2007, 1:46 AM
I am new to game call turning but have turn pens for about a year. So I have a few questions. 1) How is the best way to sand down in the groves with out removing some of the beads? 2) What type of wood for a deer grunt call? I have some nice Walnut and Olivewood. Is there a better choice.3) What is the best finish, since it is in contact with the mouth should it be a food safe finish? 4) What are the sanding steps? I go to 220 and then use Triple E to polish my pens but thought I would only use sand paper with an oil finish because of the mouth contact. I would appreciate any advice.

CW McClellan
12-14-2007, 10:17 AM
WoodCraft has a book on making calls --very good one --suggest you get one --tells from beginning to end with pics,:D

David Fried
12-14-2007, 12:45 PM
1) How is the best way to sand down in the groves with out removing some of the beads?

I think the stuff I have and use is called abrasive cord.

2) What type of wood for a deer grunt call? I have some nice Walnut and Olivewood. Is there a better choice.

I haven't done a deer grunt yet. On Duck calls I prefer the oily woods as the seem to hold up well in the wet environment. Other than that I prefer denser woods as they seem to give a deeper, richer call.

3) What is the best finish, since it is in contact with the mouth should it be a food safe finish?

I think this goes back to most finishes being food safe once they are fully cured. I acutally use John Hart's old finishing receipe. It's posted here somewhere.

4) What are the sanding steps? I go to 220 and then use Triple E to polish my pens

I usually go through 320 or 400. Depends on the wood. I cook it at least overnight in a BLO mixture and eventually buff.

Hope this helps.