PDA

View Full Version : switch on 46-715

byron constantine
12-13-2007, 11:37 PM
I have a 46-715 delta lathe and the cheap plastic switch broke off. I would imagine delta wants an arm and a leg for a new switch. Is there
a replacement switch i can use in place of the stock one?

Thanks,Byron

Dick Strauss
12-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Byron,
I had the same thing happen. I just took some CA glue around the perimeter only and put the cover back in place. You might want to do the same thing until you get a replacement.

Bob Opsitos
12-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I swapped out a completely different switch from a DeWALT tile saw. IMHO that Delta switch is garbage.

I would think anything would work, the current rating of the tool isn't that high. I would think even a heavy duty light switch would work.

Bob

Jerry Allen
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
I had a bad switch on my bandsaw and replaced it with a light switch. I have seen one used on a few table saws too.
I finally got tired of reaching down for the switch on the bandsaw and moved the switch up to a metal elec box on the bandsaw's cast neck. This time I use the more modern Decora type switch and painted the lower half of the toggle red and glued a wood "wall" around the top half to prevent accidentally hitting the ON side. Much better than a plain toggle switch. I wouldn't do that on a high power motor or one that has a magnetic switch. Generally it's okay for a simple 115V application.

Phil St.Germain
12-14-2007, 12:34 PM
I have the same lathe and had the same issue. around $65 for the replacement switch.
I just bought a heavy duty toggle switch from the borg for a couple bucks. The housing that hold the cheap plastic cover for the switch is also cheap plastic, so I made a new face for that box to mount the toggle in. Works great and I have been using it that way for better than a year and a half.

Greg Just
12-14-2007, 6:22 PM
The switch on my Delta broke too and I went to Rockler a bought one of their switches and it works fine. Not sure how long it will last, but it was only $20 on sale.