PDA

View Full Version : Online source for circular saw blades?

Jason King
12-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Hello all:

I'm searching for a somewhat odd size of circular saw blade for my American Woodworking Machinery Universal Saw Bench.

It takes 16" blades with a 1.25" bore.

I suppose I could order saw blades with a smaller bore and have a machine shop increase the size of the bore, but I have no idea how expensive that would be.

So if anyone knows of a good (inexpensive) online soure for this size of blades I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Tom Veatch
12-14-2007, 1:46 AM
Hello all:

I'm searching for a somewhat odd size of circular saw blade for my American Woodworking Machinery Universal Saw Bench.

It takes 16" blades with a 1.25" bore...

If you don't get any bites here, you might try the "Old Wood-Working Machines" site. It has some Universal Saw Benchs shown along with owner contact information. You might can get some leads there.

Randal Stevenson
12-14-2007, 2:22 AM
Hello all:

I suppose I could order saw blades with a smaller bore and have a machine shop increase the size of the bore, but I have no idea how expensive that would be.

So if anyone knows of a good (inexpensive) online soure for this size of blades I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

You might search for member Charles McCracken, who works for Freud. They have a Diablo series blade in a 16" size, and they may offer a boring option. If your going to put this to good use (not occassional) I would consider getting a GOOD blade later though, not a cheap one.

Jason King
12-14-2007, 1:52 PM
Good point. I'm not trying to put a cheap blade on this saw, I wouldn't minde spending quite a bit, but I'd rather not have to spend quite a bit, and then spend even more for a machine shop to bore out the arbor.

I'll try freud and see, but if anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

I don't suppose there's a way for me to expand the bore of a "standard" 1 inch bore with any accuracy in my (non metalworking) shop?

Jason White
12-14-2007, 2:05 PM
I seem to recall that Forrest sells some uncommon sizes.

JW

Hello all:

Thanks.

Charles McCracken
12-14-2007, 4:43 PM
Jason,

You can order any Freud blade bored to 1-1/4". Let me know what the application(s) are and I'll be happy to recommend a specific blade. You can check with most any Freud dealer for the pricing.

Scott Whiting
12-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Any saw shop can order blades bored out to custom. When the blades are ordered that way they still carry the original warranty. If you buy a blade and have a machine shop rebore it there is no warranty. And most machine shops will charge at least twice what the rebore would be on a special order because it is a one time set up. Stay away from a saw shop that will just use a reamer on a stock blade, I have seen many blades destroyed that way.