PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with dimensions of Hartville Casters?

Lewis Cobb
12-13-2007, 9:16 PM
Hi Folks:

I don't have any Hartville casters, and I see that the locking ones with the flange are out of stock until Jan '08 - so I am not ordering any for awhile. In the meantime I am cranking away on several mobile base designs in Sketchup and I am hoping some kind soul here can help me with some dimensions.

On the fixed 3" casters with flange base P/N 36982
- what's the bolt hole size and pattern ?

On the swivel 3" casters P/N 36984 - or - P/N 36986
- What's the offset of the axle from the C/L of the flange?

Thanks !

Lewis

Wayne Riley
12-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Lewis,

On the 3" fixed caster (36982), the flange itself measures 2 5/8" x 3 3/4", with a 4-bolt hole pattern (one at each corner), that measures 1 13/16" center - center along the short side, and 3" center - center along the long side. The bolt hole measures 3/8" x 1/2", i.e. it is elongated 1/8" along the long side axis. I have used both 5/16" dia. bolts and lag screws to attach these, and both methods have worked well for me.

On the 3" swivel caster, I don't have the exact one you referenced, but I have used the ones with the brake (36986), and the measurement from the CL of the flange to the center of the caster axle is 1 3/4". I took that measurement with a caliper looking straight down on the caster unit, so that may be subject to some visual error, but I think i have it pretty close (+/- 1/8"). My hunch is that this caster shares the same basic dimensions as the one without the brake, but I cannot say that for certain.

If this is not what you were asking, post again, and I'll take another measurement.

Lewis Cobb
12-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Wayne -

That's exactly the info I was looking for - thanks very much for this, it's really appreciated. I had not realized that the holes were elongated on the flanges until you mentioned it and I went back to the website and looked closer.

Cheers,

Lewis