PDA

View Full Version : The new lathe is in the shop

Paul Heely
12-13-2007, 4:58 PM
The new PM is in the shop and up and running :D

Delivery man showed up, with the lift gate as promised, late this morning. He got here just before the snow started. Unfortunately because of the snow my helpers wouldn't be coming until tomorrow. After opening up the shipping boxes I figured the only piece I could not just pickup and carry down into the basement was the bed. Put the bed on a hand truck and LOML and I had no problem walking it down the stairs into the basement.

Putting it all back together was easy. Only problem was I put the bed on the saw horses backward and had to pick the bed up and do a 180 so the PM label would be on the right side when I had it all assembled. Other than that I think it took longer to clean all the shipping gunk off it than anything else.

Unfortunately because of the snow the new talon I ordered and the adapter to fit the G3 I already have won't be here until tomorrow. It's hard knowing that they are both about 4 miles away at the UPS depot. Oh well, I'll have them for the weekend.

I did use the faceplate and threw on a 1/2 a piece of birch log, about 8" in diam that I had laying around. I was enjoying the new power and smoothness so much I tuned what was suppose to be a bowl into a pile of shavings, oops :o

Sorry for rambling on. I'm just ecstatic with my new toy....

Of course here are the required pictures.

Bill Wyko
12-13-2007, 5:00 PM
DANG! Wrong shop:D Nice batch of mustard you got there.:D

Jeff Bower
12-13-2007, 5:05 PM
Paul, congrats on the mustard! BTW you can really tell your sucked deep into the vortex, anyone else notice what his TS is being used for now? Classic! :D

Mike A. Smith
12-13-2007, 5:09 PM
Wonderful gloat Paul, congratulations!

Paul Heely
12-13-2007, 5:35 PM
I was wondering how long it would take some one to see the TS. Actually its only temporary, honest :rolleyes: I was trying out how well I liked having the air cleaner closer to the lathe like that instead of hanging from the ceiling. I really am going to build a cart for it, really....

Bill Wyko
12-13-2007, 5:40 PM
Paul, congrats on the mustard! BTW you can really tell your sucked deep into the vortex, anyone else notice what his TS is being used for now? Classic! :D
I needed a good chuckle. Nice job.:D

Raymond Overman
12-13-2007, 6:02 PM
Sweet! Congrats on the new lathe and having the time to put it together.

Mike Vickery
12-13-2007, 6:03 PM
Congrats on the new lathe.

Tony De Masi
12-13-2007, 6:05 PM
Congrats Paul and welcome to the Mustard Club.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2007, 6:56 PM
Congrats on getting your new lathe! Looks great! Looking forward to seeing some new turnings real soon!

John Hart
12-13-2007, 7:28 PM
I'm impressed that the two of you muscled that thing down there Paul. That is too cool. Congratulations! :)

...Oh....maybe you oughta throw some shavings on it or something so it'll feel comfortable till tomorrow.

Chris Fierro
12-13-2007, 7:51 PM
Very nice Paul. Glad to hear that you weren't stuck in the snow, either. Thinking about my 2.75 hour ride the 38 miles home tonight, given the choice, I would rather have been playing with a new lathe too!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2007, 8:51 PM
Congrats Paul!

Andy ain't gonna like this, however!

Pat Doble
12-13-2007, 8:59 PM
Congrats Paul. I'll be posting the pics of my new one in the next couple minutes. Mustard is quite a change from a mini isn't it ???

Greg Just
12-13-2007, 9:01 PM
nice lathe - you need to get busy though - your shop is way too clean! :D

Dan Forman
12-13-2007, 9:04 PM
Congrat's, you are going to love it. Nice thing about lathes, not too much fussing with adjustments. If something doesn't come out as expected, I know just what (who) to blame. :D

Dan

Pete Jordan
12-13-2007, 9:06 PM
It is quite a treat!

You are going to love it!

Andy Hoyt
12-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Congrats Paul!

Andy ain't gonna like this, however! Actually I love it.

Gave me an excuse to ring up my buddy at UPS and arrange for some routing/delivery modifications down in Connecteyecut

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Congrats Paul. Nice looking machine.

Jon Lanier
12-14-2007, 12:10 AM
can't wait to see something turned.

Barry Stratton
12-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Sure has been a LOT of Mustard bought in the past few months! Congrats, you are going to love it.

Rich Souchek
12-14-2007, 12:46 AM
That ain't no shop, looks clean enough to be a dentist office.....
Wait :confused:
Is that two lathes seen in the picture? :cool:
Great shop.
Rich S.

Paul Heely
12-14-2007, 8:25 AM
Yes I do keep my shop clean. I actually do a quick cleanup when I'm done working for the day. I worked for a cabinet maker in a previous life and that's they way their shop was run. Guess the habit stuck. It is nice to walk into a clean shop everything and be able to go right to work.

If you look at the wider angle picture there is a pile of shavings in front of the can I haven't picked up yet :rolleyes:

There are 2 lathes in the picture. The other one is my first lathe, a Jet VS mini.

I have a piece of cherry crotch that should be first real piece I turn on this. Hopefully this weekend if Andy's jinx doesn't hold up. :p

Thanks everyone.

George Guadiane
12-14-2007, 8:32 AM
You guys and your neat shops...
Do you do ANYTHING besides clean? :rolleyes:
Congratulations on the excellent lathe choice, now go make a mess!

Jeffrey Fusaro
12-14-2007, 9:09 AM
congrats, paul!

i am supremely envious.

maybe someday...