PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat

Jon Lanier
12-13-2007, 3:50 PM
I found on Craigs List a Woodcraft Slow speed 8" Grinder. I emailed the lady and we agreed to $50.00.

Today I picked it up and it had a Wolverine jig system already attached. I said let me get a tool and I'll take the grinder off, you'll want to sell the Wolverine jig separate. She said, just take it all, it's the last thing to go out of his shop. I'm tired with dealing with it all.

I found out that her husband past away in June and she finally was able to get to the point of selling off his shop. He had a big shop. He only got to 'play' with all his new lathe and tools for a month before he past. The grinder is practically brand new. So I gave my condolences and paid her the money. This is what I came home with:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9443/grindertu9.jpg

Jim Underwood
12-13-2007, 4:31 PM
If you don't want it.. I'll take the Wolverine jig.:D Seriously.:cool:

Congrats on a great deal.

Sorry to hear about a fellow woodturner though... Can't take it with you. Live every day as though it's your last.

Jeff Bower
12-13-2007, 4:45 PM
Jon, glad you got a great deal. The past woodturner would be glad a fellow turner got it and will use it. I hope all his other equipment will be used with joy too!

Jon Lanier
12-13-2007, 5:49 PM
If you don't want it.. I'll take the Wolverine jig.:D Seriously.:cool:

Thanks for the offer Jim, but I think I'll manage keeping it. ;)

Paul Heely
12-13-2007, 5:51 PM
That's a great gloat Jon. Congratulations.

Tim Malyszko
12-13-2007, 5:52 PM
Nice pickup. Sorry to hear about the seller's husband passing away.

Steve Campbell
12-13-2007, 5:58 PM
Great gloat John.
Sounds like there is a very nice lady out there that needs a new bowl. I'll bet she would sure love seeing you again.

Steve

robert hainstock
12-13-2007, 6:43 PM
Got one of those from woodcraft this summer. It is a great add to anyones shop. Congrats for sure. :D:D
Bob

Scott Donley
12-13-2007, 7:30 PM
Hope you sleep well tonight :(

Don Eddard
12-13-2007, 8:04 PM
Hope you sleep well tonight :(
And why shouldn't he sleep well, smart guy? He did nothing underhanded or dishonorable. Save the moral lecture, would ya?

Sheesh, some people. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the grinder Jon, and I suspect there's an old turner looking down with a smile on his face know the grinder will be used and appreciated instead of collecting dust in his widow's garage.

Andy Livingston
12-13-2007, 8:44 PM
Good one!!!! Have fun with that!

Scott Donley
12-13-2007, 8:49 PM
And why shouldn't he sleep well, smart guy? He did nothing underhanded or dishonorable. Save the moral lecture, would ya?

Sheesh, some people. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the grinder Jon, and I suspect there's an old turner looking down with a smile on his face know the grinder will be used and appreciated instead of collecting dust in his widow's garage. YOU ARE RIGHT, NOT MY CALL, but after seeing how some people take advantage of widows (my Mom’s husband passed the end of May this year) it struck a nerve. Would I have handled it differently, yes, but that is me. I also have never posted a moral call on this forum unlike the OP, or use a bible quote in my sig line. So being out of line, I apologize to the OP and you for being offended.

Jim Becker
12-13-2007, 9:17 PM
Very nice find, Jon. And I do agree with the "she needs a bowl" sentiment...that would be a nice gesture given she was not willing to take any more money...and you did effectively ask.

Jon Lanier
12-13-2007, 9:30 PM
YOU ARE RIGHT, NOT MY CALL, but after seeing how some people take advantage of widows (my Mom’s husband passed the end of May this year) it struck a nerve. Would I have handled it differently, yes, but that is me. I also have never posted a moral call on this forum unlike the OP, or use a bible quote in my sig line. So being out of line, I apologize to the OP and you for being offended.

Scott,

I was not offended, I just didn't type the whole discussion in the thread. I tried to let her know what the wolverine jig was worth. But she had literally sold all of the shop over the last few weeks and was tired of it. It was more of a "please just take it, so I can be done with it." We chatted for about an hour about her husband and she showed me several of her nativity scenes.

-Jon

Jon Lanier
12-13-2007, 9:33 PM
Very nice find, Jon. And I do agree with the "she needs a bowl" sentiment...that would be a nice gesture given she was not willing to take any more money...and you did effectively ask.

Yes, I definitely will do a bowl or two for her. She said she was going to sell the house in the summer, so I should have enough dried bowls to turn.

-Jon

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Congrats on your find Jon! Great grinder and you will love the Wolverine jig! I'm sure the lady appreciated talking about her husband with someone who could relate to his love of woodworking. That was nice of you to make the time! Looking forward to seeing the bowl(s) you turn for her!

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Congrats Jon. That is a nice find.

Justin Bukoski
12-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Jon, it must be very difficult for her each time she had to sell a tool. If I were her I wouldn't want to have to do another transaction either. Its a great find for you and probably a relief for her to be done with a difficult task.

I just hope my wife sells my stuff for a song to woodworkers like you who will really appreciate it.

Now, make sure you show us the bowls!!

Andy Livingston
12-14-2007, 5:44 PM
My wife calls us all "wood geeks". She knows how much I cherish my tools and my hobby. If I died, she would sell my tools to another "one of us". Knowing the tool would be used and cared for the same way I cared for them would make her happy.
Jon, great score! BTW, my step daughter just drove up with the batch of sugar maple. Can't wait to make some shavings!!!!

Alex Elias
12-15-2007, 3:42 AM
I call that a steal more than a gloat. Congrats

Rick Gifford
12-15-2007, 7:31 AM
Geez since no one else said it I will.... You SUCK! :D

I have the same setup, and I sure didnt get it for no 50 bucks!

I would have tried to let the lady know its worth as well. Heck I've sold things for dirt cheap just to get rid of them myself, so all is fair and good. I can understand the lady point of view. Time to let it all go.

Tom Keen
12-15-2007, 8:41 AM
You know Jon..neat shops make some of us look bad. But, Im happy to see you getting set up! My shop still is in a semi-rough state, but you are welcome to come over and practice making a mess. Ive got one of those huge maple bowl blanks you gave me that is calling your name..

Best,
Tom

Jon Lanier
12-15-2007, 1:57 PM
Thanks Tom,

Maybe when Christmas break happens for the kids will be a good time.

I am assuming you are right in line with this storm we got today. Might be a good time to hit the shop and stay in there. (do you have heat yet?)

I'm teaching the older one today on how to make a pen. It is for a school project they call a walk-about.