PDA

View Full Version : favorite drying method?

Marc Myer
12-13-2007, 1:19 PM
After a big storm here in HI, a bunch of trees are down and I managed to get some good chunks of Milo wood. They are all 1-2' diameter trunk sections, up to 2' long. Not great for big projects, but excellent for my small stuff.

I've read up on drying techniques, sealing the ends, etc., including the idea of simply standing them on the ground to encourage some decorative spalting. But I'm not sure the difference between drying for turning and drying for resawing. What would you suggest?

Jim Becker
12-13-2007, 1:52 PM
"Drying for resawing" should be done after resawing...cut into the slabs/lumber and then sticker and stack so you have good air flow through the pile. The pile should be up off the ground at least six inches, too, and have a cover to keep standing water from rain off of it. Do not enclose the pile, however...air flow is essential to wicking off the moisture that is released over time. Do be sure to seal the ends of the board with Anchorseal or some other coating to reduce excess moisture release from the end-grain with resulting nasty cracking.

Most folks turn "wet", at least in the rough, so those logs are already useable for that purpose whenever you get around to it, pardon the expression. Same deal on the sealing as mentioned above.