PDA

View Full Version : Ideal height for TS?

Lewis Ehrhardt
12-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Of course, personal preference is a major factor, but I was wondering what you all's opinion is what is the right height for a TS. The height is increased when a moving system is installed, of course, so, does the factory allow a plus/minus height range for personal adjustments? Thanks

George Bregar
12-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Of course, personal preference is a major factor, but I was wondering what you all's opinion is what is the right height for a TS. The height is increased when a moving system is installed, of course, so, does the factory allow a plus/minus height range for personal adjustments? Thanks Ideal would depend on the person. Cabinet saws are 34", contractor saws are little taller.

Ken Genovese
12-13-2007, 11:35 AM
I'd make the height the same as your work bench. That way you can support long stock. Good Luck.
Ken

Greg Sznajdruk
12-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Old rule of thumb for work surface, was the distance from the floor to your knuckles. This may be dated. But over that last 10 years the height of vanities has increased by a couple of inches. It was referred to as the "New Comfort Height" at the time. I think the average height in North America has increased over the last two generations.

Have not seen or heard of cabinet saws that allow you to change the work surface height. You could do so but it would require fabricating platforms of some type,

Greg

Jim Becker
12-13-2007, 11:43 AM
For me, it's 36", which happens to be the normal hight for my machine.

I did note in the latest issue of Woodshop News that General has brought out a line of machines at much lower heights for folks with disabilities. My first thought was that they could also be nice for folks of smaller stature. Premium prices, however, likely due to the lower demand. The table saw, for example, has a 26" table height, and is usable by folks in a wheelchair. For those needing it higher, but lower than the 34-36" typical of standard machines, raising the shorter machine up is pretty easy. (One could also cut down a cabinet or contractor's style saw, although that's a bit of fabrication with the former)

Greg Cole
12-13-2007, 11:43 AM
As usual, the answer is it depends.
Personal preference and the shop surroundings. Me being taller than the average Joe, I like things a wee bit higher than "average".
My TS height is ok being on a mobile base, it's about 2" higher than "stock".
I have made a 2" riser to put in the mobile base of my jointer lifting it about 4" from the factory height, cause I like it better that way. If not my lower back screams at me after awhile if I am posted there for awhile like when doing initial face & edge jointing on a stack o' lumber.

Greg

Jason White
12-13-2007, 12:21 PM
I am tall (6'4"), so I built a rolling cart for my contractor saw to sit on, which puts the top of the table at 40". That's about 4" higher than the original height and is much easier on my back.

My router table sits in the left wing of my saw, so the additional height is great for that, too.

JW

Of course, personal preference is a major factor, but I was wondering what you all's opinion is what is the right height for a TS. The height is increased when a moving system is installed, of course, so, does the factory allow a plus/minus height range for personal adjustments? Thanks

Rod Sheridan
12-13-2007, 1:04 PM
Being short ( 5' 7"), a cabinet saw is ideal height for me.

When I had a contractor saw, it was a bit high, although I didn't notice it at the time.

Same for the bandsaw, when I went from a 14" to an 18", the table was lower, and I find it more comfortable.

Regards, Rod.

Will Blick
12-13-2007, 1:53 PM
I set all my table tops and Power tools to 42" height. I am only slightly tall at 6'3".

I find this height to be ideal, whereas I don't need that slight bend in my back, which after while, starts to ache...

I think power tool makers simply have not caught up to the taller population over the years. The plumbing industry just recently made the handicap toilet height of 17" the new standard height toilet. I feel that was 30 years overdue. Now, standard 14" toilets will become for kids only...

Norman Pyles
12-13-2007, 1:58 PM
I'm 6'3" too, had two back surgerys, 42" for me too. Just can't bend like I used too.

Will Blick
12-13-2007, 2:53 PM
Norm, my back has been terrible the past few years. I have finally learned that a "slight lean" for extended periods is more injurious than picking up heavy objects (within reasonable limits here) Ever since i have controlled the slight extended leans, I have been doing better.

I also realize how beneficial a neoprene back brace is....not for support, but rather to keep the back warm when working in cool or colder weather. (anything less than 70 deg.) A cold back is always on the edge of being injured, at least from my experience. Of course, I am referring to lower back pain, not upper.

The TS is a unique tool in this regard, as there is a lot of distance between the edge of the table, and the blade, so you are forced to lean-in to finish a cut. If there is one table height I will add a few inches vs. other power tools, its the TS for this reason. Although, I don't cut sheets on the TS, if I did, I might reconsider. Its amazing the work-arounds we do when our bodies start failing us.

Bart Leetch
12-13-2007, 3:49 PM
My Unisaw is 36 3/8" high & my Jointer fence top is just under that height because it sets behind of the TS & next to the end of my bench which is 36" high & also is my out-feed table for the saw. This creates my center piece work center of my shop.

Brian Dormer
12-13-2007, 4:38 PM
I'm 6'2" and all the surfaces in my shop are 36" (based on my comfortable working height and my Craftsman 22114 TS) - your mileage may vary. My setup is VERY similar to Barts (great minds think alike) - except in place of his assembly table, I have a router table.

Charles McCracken
12-13-2007, 4:41 PM
I think the table top should be just above the Pork-N-Beans. DAMHIKT.

Cody Colston
12-13-2007, 4:44 PM
The correct height is whatever is right for you. I mitered some 4x4's and cut a 1/2" deep x 2 1/2" wide rabbet in them and placed them under my TS base (griz 1023). That raised it to 37 1/2" which is perfect for me.

My band saw is a bit higher at 41" which allows me to see the cut line better plus I don't have to reach far to work there. The lathe (Jet 1236) has been raised 4 1/4" with 4x4's and 3/4" pads.

I'd suggest you get your saw at a comfortable height for you then alter your work bench/tables to match, It's a lot easier to change them than it is the saw.

glenn bradley
12-13-2007, 9:19 PM
About 35 and a half feels best to me at 6' but I've got 34" knuckle-dragger arms.

Matt Meiser
12-13-2007, 9:22 PM

Took me a minute to figure out what you meant but OWWWW! :eek:

Norman Pyles
12-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Now that's funny right there.:D

julie Graf
12-13-2007, 10:35 PM
i'd love to have just about EVERYTHING smaller or shorter in my shop, being 5'2" it's hard to get leverage on things if they are too high. Standing on tippy toes resawing a 12 piece of walnut on the bandsaw is not ideal.
with the table saw, it's also hard to get leverage.
and, i once used a compound mitre saw with one of those locking buttons on it, and could barely push the lock and the trigger at the same time. ugh...
you tall/big people are lucky!

Will Blick
12-13-2007, 10:40 PM
> you tall/big people are lucky!

Julie, there is tons of disadvantages of being tall...so don't fret it!

Also, to compensate for your height, where you feel safety might be an issue, you may consider building a platform around a specific machine. Being off-balance when working on a power tool can be dangerous....so use good judgement.

Rob Will
12-13-2007, 11:45 PM
This topic of machines for shorter people and those with handicaps is an interesting one. Do we have any members who use a wheelchair?

I'm not being nosey, just wondering what the requirements are for wheelchair use in the woodshop.

It would seem that many "benchtop" machine tools could be mounted at the correct height for wheelchair use (?).

I'll bet some of these guys with big arms could rip the handle off of a mortising machine;).

Rob

Bill Wyko
12-13-2007, 11:46 PM
I'd say if you want to fine tune the heigt of your saw 1/2 your personal total height would be a good start.IMHO:D

Tom Veatch
12-14-2007, 1:08 AM
Of course, personal preference is a major factor, but I was wondering what you all's opinion is what is the right height for a TS. ...

IMO, personal preference is the ONLY factor.

When I was doing the research before building my workbench, it seemed the most constistent recommendations I found in the literature were that when you're standing erect with your arms at your side and your palm parallel to the floor, the top of the workbench should be level with your palm.

That's the way I built my workbench, and it seems to be exactly the right height for me. It was taller than my cabinet saw, but installing heavy duty levelers at the corners of the cabinet raised the saw to the same height as the workbench. I'm very happy with it at that height.

Jim Becker
12-14-2007, 9:52 AM
i'd love to have just about EVERYTHING smaller or shorter in my shop, being 5'2" it's hard to get leverage on things if they are too high. Standing on tippy toes resawing a 12 piece of walnut on the bandsaw is not ideal.

Julie, a Euro style band saw typically has a much lower table height so that might be more comfortable for you. Some time ago, I also saw a picture of a shop where once the tools were placed, the whole floor was raised around the tools to accommodate the user...in that case it was for someone in a chair, but the same principle could work for someone of shorter stature. There would be a cost for putting down sleepers and plywood, etc., but the benefits would include both the height optimization as well as the ability to insulate the shop floor, run electrical conveniently and work on a wood surface. If you spend a lot of time in the shop as a pro or serious non-pro, it could be worth the investment.

Chuck Burns
12-16-2007, 1:37 AM
My SS had a 34" ht. I much prefer it at the 35 1/2 that is now that it is on a hoverpad and a sheet of 3/4 ply. My new PM2700 shaper is at 35 1/2 from the factory. My Jet 18" BS is at 39 1/2 (on a hoverpad too - was 38) and it is comfortable to work at, especially when cutting curves freehand. I'm right at 6 ft and I think most power tools come too low from the factory. They missed out on the fact that the average American is several inches taller than before.

But the bottom line is that you should find what's comfortable to you, and your back, and buy or modify accordingly.

Danny Thompson
12-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Mine is 34 1/2" and feels great to me. I'm 5'8".