PDA

View Full Version : Advice for today...

Donnie Raines
02-20-2004, 10:16 AM
If your sister tells you not to use dovetails for the drawer construction(..she "commissioned" me) , and then you use dovetails....your in trouble.....

...compounding the problem....if you used fancy figured wood for the drawer fronts, and she wanted "simple" flat sawn wood(..her words were "regular stuff").....then you use regular stuff....

...Man and I assumed I had this girl thing figured out.......(who am I kidding).... :D

DonnieR

Larry Browning
02-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Well, DUH!!!!! ;)

John Miliunas
02-20-2004, 11:30 AM
...Man and I assumed I had this girl thing figured out.......(who am I kidding).... :D

DonnieR

Donnie, not trying to start a gender war here, but if/when you figure your sister out (as in: girl; female; the "gentle" gender; etc....), you will, no doubt, be the wealthiest man known! In other words, I've not been able to completely figure out a single significant female in my life and don't believe I ever will! :D :cool:

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-20-2004, 11:32 AM
You're lucky she didn't paint it.
I built a couple of pieces of furniture out of red oak and "the boss" painted them.
Daniel :D

Donnie Raines
02-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Well, DUH!!!!! ;)
By know means am I going to make the "no means yes" argument....but you know how females will say things like.." you don't have to get me anything for my birthday..baby"......all the while she is dropping hints when your in the mall....or if your breezing through the channels on the tv and you happen upon QVC and their selling dimaonds and "stuff"...and she says.."wow...now I like that....I wonder if they have that in my size?".....
........Now you see where I am coming from here.....I thought "no dovetails" meant....."I want dovetails"......... :eek:

DonnieR

Rob Littleton
02-20-2004, 12:28 PM
By know means am I going to make the "no means yes" argument....but you know how females will say things like.." you don't have to get me anything for my birthday..baby"......all the while she is dropping hints when your in the mall....or if your breezing through the channels on the tv and you happen upon QVC and their selling dimaonds and "stuff"...and she says.."wow...now I like that....I wonder if they have that in my size?".....
........Now you see where I am coming from here.....I thought "no dovetails" meant....."I want dovetails"......... :eek:

DonnieR

I just want to say, for the guys out there that use Windows on their computers(so you understand where I am going with this)......you will have that figured out before you figure out women......

Peter Gregory
02-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Tell her this is your "artist vision" for the piece and it is nicer and she will grow to love it.

Not wanted dovetails and figured wood? What is the world coming to? :)

Larry Browning
02-20-2004, 1:48 PM

DonnieR

My wife is always telling me that she is in the process of "training" me. So with that in mind, why can't we train them to be a little more literial with us. So maybe if we make a effort to take the things they say literially, then maybe THEY would not use the no means yes thing as much.....
WHAT WAS I THINKING :eek: We are talking about women here :confused:

Donnie Raines
02-20-2004, 2:00 PM
My wife is always telling me that she is in the process of "training" me. So with that in mind, why can't we train them to be a little more literial with us. So maybe if we make a effort to take the things they say literially, then maybe THEY would not use the no means yes thing as much.....
WHAT WAS I THINKING :eek: We are talking about women here :confused:

Larry, Larry ,Larry......that is simply to much to think about on a Friday....and as stated previously.....THEY are the boss... :D

DonnieR

John Miliunas
02-20-2004, 2:07 PM
Larry, Larry ,Larry......that is simply to much to think about on a Friday....and as stated previously.....THEY are the boss... :D

DonnieR

Got that right, Donnie! BUT, I have it on good authority of how to make a marriage last! This little tidbit of info was passed along to me by a gentleman celebrating his 40th! He said: There are three things a man must always remember to say to his wife: 1) "Yes Dear." 2) "You're right." 3) "I'm sorry." That's it. He did continue, that it really doesn't matter if you do what you said "yes" to, if you're really "sorry" or not and, fact is, she probably isn't "right"! It's just the way it is.

Kind of like why I think LOML "lets" me get the tools I do. In our house, it's really simple. Everything is shared. What's hers' is hers, what's ours is ours and what's mine is ours. Simple. :D :cool:

Donnie Raines
02-20-2004, 2:15 PM
Got that right, Donnie! BUT, I have it on good authority of how to make a marriage last! This little tidbit of info was passed along to me by a gentleman celebrating his 40th! He said: There are three things a man must always remember to say to his wife: 1) "Yes Dear." 2) "You're right." 3) "I'm sorry." That's it. He did continue, that it really doesn't matter if you do what you said "yes" to, if you're really "sorry" or not and, fact is, she probably isn't "right"! It's just the way it is.

Kind of like why I think LOML "lets" me get the tools I do. In our house, it's really simple. Everything is shared. What's hers' is hers, what's ours is ours and what's mine is ours. Simple. :D :cool:
You guys get really "deep" over here in the Creek. I am a still a young one(27)....I have been married for five years(with the same girl since for 14 years!.. :( ...wait a second I meant this face :) ) and I found that so long as pass the cash and or credit cards and or check book....my life is easier....and that makes me happy.

DonnieR
..to be honest...my wife is great...when she does spend money its on our kids or me....I am simply talking "stuff"(..cause she's not around) :D

Kent Cori
02-20-2004, 3:09 PM
So if a man makes a statement in the woods that no woman can hear, is he still wrong? :D

John Miliunas
02-20-2004, 3:18 PM
So if a man makes a statement in the woods that no woman can hear, is he still wrong? :D

That depends. Are you anywhere near that bear they keep talking about? :D :cool:

Donnie Raines
02-20-2004, 3:19 PM
in short...yes!

My wife can look at me and she will know that I did "something" or "said" something....Truth my friend....may set you free...and get you in more "stuff".... ;)

DonnieR

Walt Pater
02-21-2004, 7:59 AM
Okay. Everybody prepare to kill me, But I'm not all that in love with the look of dovetails, either. I LOVE the pinned box joint. I certainly respect the discipline behind half-blind and sliding dovetails, but I'm not really in love with the look of dovetails. So your sister is good company. While I'm sticking my neck out, I should say that I think that oak looks fine painted. Not white oak, but bread & butter red oak. I guess the purists out there can now prepare to do to me what Hawaiians do to a pig at a luau.
My father taught me this poem:

"Women have a few faults,
Men have only two:
Everything they say,
And everything they do."

Everybody have a safe and productive weekend.