PDA

View Full Version : cutting out sanding disks

jeff ferguson
12-13-2007, 9:12 AM
I have finally used up the last of my hook and loop sanding disks that I had purchased back when I lived close enough to attend a turning club (and participate in the group buys). I am way too cheap to pay the 30-50 cents per disk purchasing by myself. I have ordered the large sheets of hook and loop paper (about 10 cents/disk), but would like some advice on how to cut out the 3" disks. I have a couple ideas, but would like to hear how others do it.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jim Becker
12-13-2007, 9:13 AM
Make a punch out of steel pipe...

jeff ferguson
12-13-2007, 9:18 AM
The steel pipe was my first idea, I have just had some trouble finding the pipe. I though I would see if there are other easy options.
Thanks
Jeff

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes, another option is a holesaw minus the teeth (but sharpened to a smooth cutting edge with a file) and center drill bit. Place it in your drill press, put the sandpaper on top of a wood block, turn on the DP, and start cutting out our sandpaper. The metal pipe method works good and Mark Cothren showed me that one. :D

John Hart
12-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Brace yourself for this one.

I stick the large sheet of H&L to my 2" diameter pad, then I cut around the pad with tin snips and toss the remainder up on the bench somewhere, where it eventually gets covered in shavings, snarling the H&L, so I have to dig out the chips each time. This is a high precision process.;) :rolleyes:

(I use tin snips because I don't want to ruin my scissors that are buried in the shavings somewhere):o

steven carter
12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Jeff,

Where did you find the h&l sheets?

steve

Terry Quiram
12-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Jeff

You don't need to go to all the trouble of cutting round discs. I cut my paper into 2" and 3" squares. You can fold the corners over the pad. The paper will not scratch the wood from the edge of the paper. I have a 2" and 3" strip of metal banding that I use as a straight edge. Cut with a utility knife.

Terry

Raymond Overman
12-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Guess what? A 3x3 square will work on the three inch round sanding pad. I use a 2" pad and cut my sheets with a straight edge then cut the strips so I get 2" squares. Works like a charm.

Jeff,

Where did you find the h&l sheets?

steve

Industrial Abrasives

Brian Brown
12-13-2007, 12:00 PM
I bought a 2" circle punch from a scrapbooking store. Just slip the H & L sanding sheets in, whack the handle an voila! a two inch disc. The punch was not designed for this, so I don't know how long it will last, but it works good for now. The instructions say to punch aluminum foil or sandpaper to sharpen it, so who knows? It's a little rough for 100 grit, but works well on higher grits. I buy 6" H & L discs for a random orbit sander at the orange box store, and get 7 2" discs per sheet. This is $.06/ disc. A far cry from $.50 each. The punch cost $11.00.

I have never heard of the pipe method, but would like to know how to make one. The punch I have probably won't last forever.

Brian

Reed Gray
12-13-2007, 12:39 PM
The pipe method: Get a section of 3 inch ID (inside diameter) pipe about 1 1/2 inch long. I had it reamed out on the inside so the actual disc comes out about 3 1/8 diameter. Put a fairly sharp long bevel (45 degrees or sharper) on the outside, and a tiny bevel also on the inside. If you leave the inside straight, it will tend to crimp over with use. Also have the pipe heat treated to make it a bit harder. I have access to a small table top punch press which you may find in a leather processing place (Clicker press), but you can use a bigger arbor press (in the 3 to 5 ton range), or a 6 to 8 pound hammer with a wood block on top of the cutter (you can turn a fancy end grain one if you want), and punch. With the hammer, I can do 3 to 5 layers without any trouble, but I used a 10 lb hammer for years doing concrete work. Do make sure that the table you are pounding on is very sturdy, like punch right on top of a leg, rather than in the middle of the table. Also, I use some 1/2 inch thick plastic to cut out on.

robo hippy

Tim Gruss
12-13-2007, 8:40 PM
Here is what I do. I use standard mirka paper and spray it with adhesive. My sanding pads are the wifes recycled Flip-Flops Glued to 1/2 plywood that has a 1/4 tee track bolt glued in it.I also put a 1/4" nut on the top of the plywood. They work great and I have many different sizes, cost is the tee-trac bolt.

Pat Doble
12-13-2007, 9:03 PM
I go the same route as Terry and Raymond. Just cut into squares with straightedge and utility knife...

Dick Strauss
12-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Jeff,
I got one of the $2-3 holesaw kits from HF and made a 3" and 3.5" punch as Dennis mentioned (3" for my 2" and 3.5" for my 3" sanding pad). I ground mine on my 36 grit wheel to make a nice steep 60 degree cutter. I use a dead blow hammer against an end grain log and punch 5-10 discs at a time by folding the sandpaper accordian style before punching them.

FYI-Holesaws have the advantage of a nice flat surface for hammer strikes and easy mounting in a drill press if needed.

Good luck,
Dick

Ed Scolforo
12-14-2007, 5:01 PM
You guys are wasting way too much time :rolleyes:. I use a cheap pair of trauma scissors and cut around a disc used as a template sitting on top of the sheet. It's quick enough for me.

Reed Gray
12-14-2007, 5:56 PM
Just as an after thought, I don't punch many discs out any more. I started using the blue discs from Vince, and can't get sheet stock from him, at least not yet. The prices are fair enough, and I haven't found a better of comparable abrasive yet.
robo hippy

George Guadiane
12-14-2007, 6:29 PM
Just as an after thought, I don't punch many discs out any more. I started using the blue discs from Vince, and can't get sheet stock from him, at least not yet. The prices are fair enough, and I haven't found a better of comparable abrasive yet.
robo hippy
What he said!:D

Dennis Peacock
12-14-2007, 6:48 PM
robo hippy

Vince who...and does he have an abrasive that is better than the white abrasive sheets from Industrial Abrasives? If so, I need to get some and try them out.

George Guadiane
12-14-2007, 7:08 PM
Vince who...and does he have an abrasive that is better than the white abrasive sheets from Industrial Abrasives? If so, I need to get some and try them out.
You can find Vince here (http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/index.htm)
And those blue discs are GREAT!

Nathan Hawkes
05-05-2008, 1:04 AM
So I'm thinking of doing the same thing; punching out my own discs; I'm tired of paying for discs. I've been searching for a decent punch online, and the only ones I can find are for craft working with fabrics and paper;

For those of you that have used them, how do the cheap craft punches work?? I was looking for one like Richard Raffan has displayed in his book "Turning Bowls" on p. 157----its an old-school punch to be used with a large mallet, just like the pipe people have described, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Also, is the blue abrasive from Vince better than Norton 3X paper??? I'm guessing its an aluminum oxide stearate coated paper? Thanks for your help. I've been bitten by the turning bug, and sandpaper is getting expensive. I've been using some old discs, blowing them clean with compressed air, and using a spray adhesive to attatch them to Norton 3X paper.

Has anyone found a decent punch out there that will hold up to making several hundred discs at a time?? Thanks.

Bill Blasic
05-05-2008, 7:03 AM
I recently was going to place an order with Vince and I ran into a link to Steve Worcester's site - http://www.turningwood.com/ I'm glad I tried Steve's product, it is the best I've ever used. In no way am I putting down Vince's stuff it is just that I like Steves better. Just a very happy camper with no affiliation.

Reed Gray
05-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't know exactly what the abrasive that Vince sells is. I don't think it is Aluminum Oxide. The 2 that I have seen are red and white/grey. The Sterate is an additive to prevent clogging. His discs do outlast the Norton paper.
robo hippy

Dick Strauss
05-05-2008, 3:20 PM
Nathan,
I punch mine out of Klingspor gold sandpaper (cloth backer). I bought a pack of holesaws from HF for $2 on sale and made my own punches. The HF set covers 2.5-5" discs. A good dead-blow hammer, a sharpened hole saw, and a dense end-grain chunk of wood is all you need to get you off and running making your own discs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36222

Rasmus Petersen
05-06-2008, 1:19 AM
i cut mine with a cheap pair of cissors, but im looking hard at using the Mirka stuff thatīs already punched.. i have stopped using the cheap stuff and now only use mirka for hand sanding, when i find some where i dk that i ccan get the abraoon and royal pads im gogin to stop making my own...

Reed Gray
05-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Aparently there are 2 grades of the Mirka brand abrasives. The plain cheap stuff, and the Royal grade. I have a friend who is getting some. As far as the Abralon, or micrlmesh stuff, I know it is available through Craft Supplies, in disc form, and may be avaliable else where in sheet or sanding strip stock. More on this later.
robo hippy

Nathan Hawkes
05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm still looking for a punch or press of some kind. I've been using scissors to cut mine out, and have actually been using a spray adhesive to glue them to old hook&loop discs, or powerloc pads that I glued a piece of foam to. I'm a new turner, but I'm trying to get into selling my work; I go to a few music festivals during the summer & think I could sell a lot of bowls there. The point is, I'm a student trying to supplement my income; I'm BROKE!!! Sanding discs are getting expensive. I'm on the fence about the industrial adhesives large 1m x 1m hook & loop sheets; I'd like to try some out before committing to a sheet of each grit. The Norton 3X stuff works so well that its been worth me cutting out discs. I'm a DIY kind of guy, and don't want to buy any discs.

Nathan Hawkes
05-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Nathan,
I punch mine out of Klingspor gold sandpaper (cloth backer). I bought a pack of holesaws from HF for $2 on sale and made my own punches. The HF set covers 2.5-5" discs. A good dead-blow hammer, a sharpened hole saw, and a dense end-grain chunk of wood is all you need to get you off and running making your own discs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36222

I have a lot of holesaws, and happen to have a 2.25" that I don't use very often........How many discs can you cut through with yours? just curious. My "extra" is actually for drilling deadbolt locks--don't want to destroy it if I don't think its worth it. It was one of the more expensive red Morse holesaws.