PDA

View Full Version : Cove raised panel with table saw

Derek Larson
12-13-2007, 8:15 AM
I am going to attempt to cut a coved raised panel door with a table saw within the next few days - I just wanted to start a general discussion of problems other people have encountered while using this method or any tips.

Ralph Barhorst
12-13-2007, 8:43 AM
I have done it several times without problems.

Take shallow cuts. No more that 1/8". I usually just take 1/16".

Make sure that your angled fence is fastened down tight.

Use push blocks like you would use on a jointer.

Watch your fingers.

Go slow.

James Phillips
12-13-2007, 9:06 AM
Use a rip blade with a flat top grind. If you use a ATB combination blade you will have a lot of sanding to do

Cody Colston
12-13-2007, 9:14 AM
A gooseneck scraper works great for smoothing out the cove.

Bill Huber
12-13-2007, 9:19 AM
Use a rip blade with a flat top grind. If you use a ATB combination blade you will have a lot of sanding to do

I will second what James said.

Now you can get some neat looking patterns with an ATB blade...:D

Derek Larson
12-13-2007, 9:38 AM
These are great suggestions thank you very much

frank shic
12-13-2007, 9:53 AM
derek, make sure that your auxillary fences are clamped down TIGHT, raise the blade SLOWLY and use some grout floats to keep your hands away from that blade. rockler is now selling a jig for just this purpose BTW.

Lee Schierer
12-13-2007, 12:40 PM
You can remove the majority of the waste with one or several rip cuts (faster and safer) before making the last few cleanup cuts using the cove cutting technique.

Make sure you have a hold down directly over the blade to act as a guard and to hold the material tight to the table as it is being cut.

frank shic
12-13-2007, 1:38 PM
lee's got a great section on raising panels SAFELY on the table saw on his website. nice looking projects as well!

Bruce Wrenn
12-13-2007, 9:48 PM
Instead of a blade, I use one of my old Sears molding heads. I use the 1" round nose cutters. A heck of a lot less sanding, but the diameter of molding head is only 7".