PDA

View Full Version : Relative humidity Winter vs. Summer

Derek Larson
12-13-2007, 7:33 AM
Ok I know variations of this question have been tossed around, but I dont think this has been asked so I apologize if it has. Currently in my basement the temperature is 57 degrees and the relative humidity is 42% now I gather this is ok from what I have been reading, however my question is how much of a change in RH can I expect to see from the Winter to Summer season ( I live in New York). I currently am NOT running a dehumidifier. Also will this have a substantial impact on my tools i.e. rust. Finally, how long should I let wood get acclamated to my basement.

Thank you

David G Baker
12-13-2007, 8:04 AM
Derek,
I live in Mid Michigan and run a dehumidifier in the Summer and run two humidifiers in the Winter.
The dehumidifier is in the basement and the humidifiers are in the living spaces.
In the Summer months the humidity can get as high as 80% in the basement.
In the Winter months the humidity can get as low as 15%. The readings are taken off of inexpensive devices so I don't know what the actual relative humidity is.
I get some rust on things in the basement even with a dehumidifier. The majority of my tools are in out buildings that have no humidity control and they get approximately the same amount rust on them as the tools in my basement. I use furniture grade paste wax on all of the horizontal tool surfaces and that really does a good job of protecting them from rust.

David Giles
12-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Derek, for yearly relative humidity data, go to cityratings.com . New York seems to have a steady yearly humidity level. Here in Houston we start the morning at 90% humidity and drop towards 65% as the day warms up. It's steady year round which probably explains why some of my early miter joints haven't opened up from wood shrinkage.

Al Willits
12-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Not really enough info to be accurate, but there are a couple of basics, winter air is generally dryer than summer air, thus you need to humidify, humidity in the air will generally keep you and your furniture healthier.
Barring mold growing on the walls and then I'd turn the humidifier down a bit...:)

If you can keep the humidity at 40% all year around that will work...generally
I tell customers that if your grabbing the door knob and get shocked, add more humid, you have water dripping off the windows, you either have very poor windows or to much humid.
Find what works for your situation.

Dry warm air generally feels cooler than moist warm air and cool moist air feels muggier than cool dry air...generally...:)

Al