PDA

View Full Version : Which jaws are most useful?

Dan Forman
12-13-2007, 6:06 AM
I'm thinking about getting a pair of Vicmarc chucks (vm100 and 120), and wondering which accessory jaws would be most useful. I will be doing a variety of things, from peppermills and small boxes, up to bowls, hollow forms, and lamps. I'm considering the extended pin jaws and maybe long nose jaws for the 100, and Shark Jaws for the 120 for big stuff. Any thoughts, recommendations would be appreciated.

Dan

Curt Fuller
12-13-2007, 8:29 AM
The ones that you need at the time for the piece you're working on. Might as well get 'em all and save on the shipping because you'll always be needing them if you don't. DAMHIKT

Jim Becker
12-13-2007, 9:16 AM
I find that I use all three sizes of jaws I own for my Talon and suspect you'll find the same over time with the Vicmarc chucks. Both the #2 and #3 sets get used because you want to optimize the "circle" to grip a tenon or the inside of a recess. I also have the spiggot jaws and those have come in handy for a variety of interesting tasks. What I may do is buy a larger chuck (like you are doing with the 120) and only put some really big jaws on it, dedicated to the largest turnings. The smaller chuck will remain my normal go-to chuck since I already have a variety of jaws to fit it.

BTW, if there is a screw chuck option for the Vicmarc, get it...very handy for that initial mounting of a pre-cut blank. Drill a hole, screw it on, rough the shape and tenon, reverse into the chuck and go to town. All without removing the chuck from the spindle.

David Fried
12-13-2007, 9:33 AM
... Might as well get 'em all ... because you'll always be needing them if you don't. DAMHIKT

Curt nailed it!

I find it handy to keep the size ranges for each set handy so I know how big to make tenons otherwise I end up having to switch jaws even more often!

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2007, 9:40 AM
I have both those chucks Dan. I bought the same jaws you are talking about. I use the shark jaws on HF's, big vases, etc. The jaws that come with the chucks are good all purpose jaws and the pin jaws are excellent for boxes, pepper mills, etc. I think you will be fine with what you listed.

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Curt nailed it!

I find it handy to keep the size ranges for each set handy so I know how big to make tenons otherwise I end up having to switch jaws even more often!

Per-zackly...!!!! Buy every jaw set they make for your chuck. Sooner or later, you'll need them. (yet another DAMHIKT) :D

Reed Gray
12-13-2007, 1:01 PM
I have found the standard jaws to work well for all of my bowl turning. I do use the extended jaws for sanding bowls (better clearance from the headstock). I did buy some of the wide jaws for the small chuck and never use them. I can see where some bigger jaws might come in handy when turning bigger bowls, but can do without them. I do use a recess for the bottom of my bowls which doesn't require the wider jaws. Ideally, you get a chuck for each set of jaws because changing out the jaws is time consuming.
robo hippy

Dan Forman
12-13-2007, 4:53 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. Love to do "one of each", but will have to make do with but a few.

Dan

Dean Thomas
12-13-2007, 10:14 PM
If you can only do a couple of extra sets, I'd personally go with the Adjusta-Jaws (similar to "Cole" jaws on other brands) for easy finishing of bowl bottoms without have to deal with jam chucks and the like. I'd also go for the extended dovetail jaws since Vicmark does not seem to have what Oneway calls its "spigot" jaws.

I LOVE my spigot jaws. I can use them to turn the end of a dowel (and will in just 5 minutes or so!) or other small work. I can also drill a hole in a chunk and insert the jaws in that hole to get a really great grip on big chunks.

You just have to match what you're going to buy to what it is that you have in your heart to turn for the next little while--until the tool budget replenishes! ;)