PDA

View Full Version : Pepper mill comparison?

Dan Forman
12-13-2007, 5:32 AM
Has anyone used both the crush grind mechanism and the "premium mill" from Craft Supplies? If so, please compare and contrast grinding performance as well as ease of construction. Thanks much.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2007, 9:46 AM
Dan I use the deluxe pepper and salt mill from CSUSA. I like them better and they are easy to assemble. I got a crush grind from CSUSA about 1 1/2 yrs. ago and didn't really care for them. The top got loose on it so they recommended put in a set screw. Didn't like that. Anyway just my opinion.

Greg Savage
12-13-2007, 9:56 AM
First of all, both are excellent mechanisms. I haven't seen the "premium mill" mechanism from Craft Supply, although it is hard to tell who makes that mechanism from the photo. But, I've made several hundred mills with the "deluxe mill" which is made by Chef Specialties and about 2 dozen with the Crush Grind. I have never had a problem with a Chef Specialties mechanism unless you count the one that was used for salt by a customer! The CrushGrind has also performed flawlessly for me, but does pose a few minor challenges in their construction.

As for ease of construction. The Chef Specialties is pretty straight forward, although the hole for the top of the shaft needs to be enlarged slightly. The nice thing here is that if there is a problem or in the event of a refinish job, the CS mill can be taken apart with only 2 screws. The CrushGrind is a bit more unforgiving in my opinion. The holes should be drilled with metric sized boring bits to give the mechanism a tighter fit. The directions say that th CG mech will work well with just the friction fit. I have found that on heavy sea salt, the friction fit will slip. Also there are tangs that can be used to "clip" the CG into place. These must be cut very accurately and BLINDLY!...I must add. Also I don't know of a way to remove the CG once the tangs have locked into their slot....even for a test fit. I have found that by grinding off the tangs, the mechanism can be epoxied in place. But, by doing this, you don't have anyway to remove the mechanism should the need arise. There are also methods of using pins and set screws to secure the CrushGrind into place.

I'll continue to use both mechanisms, but sell my CrushGrind mills to my customers intended for salt.

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Both the deluxe and premium mills can be bought in both salt and pepper mills. I have used many of the deluxe mills in matching sets and really like those because of ease of turning and assembly. The Deluxe salt mills use polycarbonate mechanisms and the Premium use a ceramic mechanism. I made a set from the deluxe mechanisms about a year ago for the kids. They have preformed without a problem and are used almost every day.

I agree with Greg on the CG that I had to epoxy mine that was used for salt but once that is done there is no way to take it apart to fix the finish or anthing else. I also agree with his statement they must be cut accurately and blindly. If I were going to do more CG I would look into using set screws rather that epoxy. These are definitely in my books less forgiving than the others.

Greg I was going to try a set of Chef Specialties salt and pepper mills but when I went to their site it says after November 1st, 4 to 5 week delivery so didn't order them due to time factor.

Dan Forman
12-13-2007, 4:38 PM
Thanks, think I'll try the premium first.

Dan