PDA

View Full Version : New Chisel Plane

harry strasil
12-13-2007, 1:25 AM
I needed a Chisel Plane for cleaning up glue squeeze out, something that would also get into corners also. I was rumaging thru my iron plane junk box and found an old Stanley 78 I got somewhere in the past for parts as the bull nose was broken off it. A little hacksaw work, a little touching up on the grinder and the sanding disc a few quick strokes over some sandpaper to clean the bottom up a bit, and a bit of sharpening of the blade with the Worksharp 3000 and I now have a nice chisel plane with an easy to use D handle.

Chuck Saunders
12-13-2007, 8:31 AM
Handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Lewis Moon
12-13-2007, 9:00 AM
I did something just like that. I had a roached old maroon #220 that I cut the toe off of and re-contoured the cheeks on my belt sander. VERY useful, especially in those areas where you want the blade AT the surface rather than cutting into the surface. Glue lines, pegs, etc. the little "sports car" plane works great!

glenn bradley
12-13-2007, 9:13 AM
Excellent second life for that guy!

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-13-2007, 9:41 AM
sexy~!!

Have you used a cabinet scraper for glue in corners?
That little plane of yours may do a cleaner job.

Zahid Naqvi
12-13-2007, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't expect anything less from you Harry, looks great.

Richard Niemiec
12-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Harry, someone in the distant past did the same thing with a 10 1/2, as I picked up this plane at a garage sale, and apparently the cheek was broken, which was braised, and the guy cut off the front of the plane and made a bullnose out of it. I brought it home as a curiosity and it sits on my shelf. I think it was an early version with the adjustible throat, but since its missing I don't know. I guess it would be good for parts, it does not work all that well as a bullnose, as its really too large (#4 size I guess). But its interesting, for sure. RN

Mark Stutz
12-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Be careful, Harry, all those woodies are not going to like that iron in the mix:D;):eek:. I find the metals handles on those very uncomfortable after just a short while, though doubt that would be an issue given it's intended purpose.

Mark

John Guarino
12-13-2007, 3:31 PM
Great idea, Harry. I, too, have a dead 78 which is going to come back to life as a chisel plane.

Lewis Moon
12-13-2007, 4:22 PM
Here's a pic of my converted #220..Pardon the dust...

http://www.dropshots.com/Lewis_Moon#date/2007-12-13/14:16:43

I don't know why I just can't post the pic....