PDA

View Full Version : Modulus SS-100 Reviews?

Paul Joynes
12-12-2007, 9:00 PM
How many of the members here are using the Modulus scoring system? If you have one, was it hard to install? What is the overall quality like? Your input would be appreciated.

The company that I have purchased most of my larger tools from quoted me $417 for the assembly which works out to $475 after taxes. Is this competitive or is there a better place to purchase this online that I am not aware of?

Regards,

Paul Joynes

frank shic
12-12-2007, 11:05 PM
i had to use a hack saw to chip off part of my tablesaw's throat and there was a fair bit of fussing around with the settings until i got it just right but it was well worth the investment to be able to get absolutely chip-free NOT close to chip-free or really close to chip-free cuts in melamine which i prefer to use for cabinet parts.

i bought the modulus from the company directly and the owner was kind enough to actually field questions at night to help me determine exactly which model i needed to fit the PM64. here's a tip: don't remove any of the shims in the scoring blade since you want the scoring blade to be slightly wider than the main blade and set the blade approximately 1/16" above the table saw surface since melamine and plywood are not always perfectly flat.

before i made the jump, i was trying all kind of CRAZY strategies: scoring with a utility knife, double cutting, using a ATB melamine blade combined with a zero clearance insert, masking with blue painter's tape. there really is no substitute for the modulus 2000 if you have the funds to invest.

Paul Joynes
12-13-2007, 12:35 PM
How is it for cutting across grain in veneer?

frank shic
12-13-2007, 1:37 PM
that's an interesting question, i'll have to check that out later this evening!

Paul Joynes
12-13-2007, 9:07 PM
Looking forward to hearing about it since this is really what I want to do with the blade.

Paul