PDA

View Full Version : What Edge, Belt and/or Disc Sander Do You Recommend?

Jeff Wright
12-12-2007, 4:37 PM
I want to add a sanding machine to my tool collection. I currently own a Festool 150/3 hand sander, an old jitterbug, and a small table spindle sander. I'd like to add an edge sander, or maybe a belt/disc combination floor machine. I build furniture and built-in cabinets.

1. What do you use and why do you use it?
2. What brand machine do you like? (Jets have some deals going on at the moment)

Jim Becker
12-12-2007, 5:20 PM
Jeff...I made the "mistake" of buying a combo sander a few years ago. It's certainly a fine machine, but I've only used the disk once (and that was because I just didn't want to move the machine enough to get to the belt) and find that the belt is not in the best orientation for what my real sanding needs turned out to be. So, at some point it will be replaced with an edge sander as yet to be identified. I'd love to get an oscillating version, but it will probably hinge on cost at that point. And like you, I build furniture and cabinetry.

Terry Sparks
12-12-2007, 5:32 PM
I want to add a sanding machine to my tool collection. I currently own a Festool 150/3 hand sander, an old jitterbug, and a small table spindle sander. I'd like to add an edge sander, or maybe a belt/disc combination floor machine. I build furniture and built-in cabinets.

2. What brand machine do you like? (Jets have some deals going on at the moment)

Before you buy a tool that has limited use, think floor space.

Jeff Hallam
12-12-2007, 5:39 PM
You can build yourself a disc sander fairly easily. There are plans in Danny Proulx's book on workshop workstations. I built one a number of months ago and finally used it on a project recently. It worked great, I built mine with a 12" disc, total cost was bout $50 (mostly the cost of the motor).

Dave Lehnert
12-12-2007, 5:42 PM
I have also been looking at edge sanders myself This one looks interesting. http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=10&tool=55230
The Oscillating feature seems to be an good extra to have. Jet now has one on their web page like the Steel City unit. My guess the reason why Jet has the non-oscillating unit at a good price. I just am having a hard time justifying the $900 for my hobby shop.

"Jason Belous"
12-12-2007, 9:22 PM
In my opinion the edge sander is the way to go. you can get a decent one for about $800. This will allow you to do cabinet doors, table legs, and outer radius, I used mine all day today edge sanding 40 frames for a hair salon and within one hour glass smooth.

Ben Grunow
12-12-2007, 9:37 PM
Grizzly has a floor standing unit that has gotten good reviews and is in the $700 range (non oscillating). I have been lusting after one but it is a lot of money.

The platen size is important as well as the motor hp. Want to be able to sand doors for cabinets as easily as possible with no stalling or slowing of the belt.

See here- G0512 is my pick

http://grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=440000

Wish someone who had one would weigh in.

Ben

Leo Graywacz
12-12-2007, 10:32 PM
I have the
Delta Oscillating Edge Sander w/ Spindle Sanding Attachment

Model 31-396

http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-396.html

Great machine. Not really for the hobby shop at $1900

Brian Kent
12-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Grizzly G1014 combo sander:
6 x 48" belt
9" Disc

Although it was the best price in this size, I bought it because of the ease of belt change. I use the sander not only for rough shaping work, but also for fine sanding boxes. It helped me make about a dozen boxes last Christmas with no glitches.

The edge sander might be better for many people because of right angle to the table, but this one suits me best.

Jim Becker
12-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Ben, I was just looking at those units. I think I like the G0563 better...longer belt and it does have the oscillating feature. The color is more compatible with my shop, too... :D ...I'm really not a fan of green tools no matter what the brand. But, of course...more money for that guy! Oh, well...

Dennis Hatchett
12-12-2007, 11:22 PM

Jeff, I have the Jet oscillating edge sander and it has exceeded all my expectations for the price I paid. It is a powerful machine and has eliminated a lot of sanding time on those annoying skinny pieces of face frames so I don't think you'll go wrong if you go ahead and get the Jet

The only issue I've had so far is the dust. It really puts it out and the dust port is wholly inadequate in design and you can't even use it when using the auxillary table for shaping or contouring pieces. I'm working on a hood design but for now I'm clamping a shop vac hose to augment the main dust port to catch some of what got away. I still wear my airshield whenever the Jet is working.

I don't necessarily recommend the Jet over the other oscillators because I haven't used them. I just got a good price and I've had good experience with a couple other Jet machines so I pulled the string on this one.

Overall it has been a dream machine. I wouldn't waste my time considering the combo machines. Get as much of an edge sander as you can afford because it really replaces any need for a disc sander that I can think of. I was excited to get rid of my old disc sander combo once I got the jet. I now regret having waited so long to get it. Good luck.

Tim Marks
12-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Ben, I was just looking at those units. I think I like the G0563 better...
The G0563 is a sweet machine.... it makes every other tool in my shop look like garbage (upgrade time...not). This was one of those times when the trip to the Grizzly showroom paid off; the G0563 was definitely above my price range, and I intended to buy G1530/G1140, but it such a huge step in build quality and robustness above the others that I knew that I would always be sorry if I didn't splurge on this machine.

Jim Becker
12-13-2007, 10:07 AM
'Glad to hear you like yours, Tim...it's definitely on my short list once I get my lumber storage moved upstairs. I need the room to be able to add anything of that size to my shop footprint. And then there is the need to pay for this home addition before anything else moves into the shop. Other than some hand-tools, I'm in "materials only" purchasing mode at present! Oh, I would consider heading up to the show-room for this with my trailer...simply because it would be an enjoyable endeavor. Otherwise, their shipping is actually reasonable and much less time consuming.

Quinn McCarthy
12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Edge sander

I have a vega non occilating edge sander. 6x42. I use that thing all the time. It has the largest platten of the under $1500 class. It is one of the only one that I found that you can do unlimited length material. All of the grizzly's have the dust shoots permanantly mounted and all you can do is a piece the length of the table.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Brian Weick
12-13-2007, 10:39 AM
are going to laugh at me probably but it was a practical and great idea in my eyes - a disk sander -hmmmmm, Do you have a lathe with a faceplate? I have a 20" faceplate that I attach to the Oliver Lathe and I use this as my disk sander as well as a lathe. I just buy the round disks and stick them on with spray adhesive. It does a fantastic job- I have my dust collection on a swivel so all the dust gets sucked write into it. I was walking out the door one day on my way to get one and just happened to glance at my plates on the wall- ? an idea flashed through my head - mounted some mdf on the plate - turned it round and faced - tacked the disk I had laying around and the rest is history.I also can change the speed on the VFD which comes in handy as well. I saved myself $400- I was on my way to look at an older Oliver sander which would have cut down what space I have in my shop and my wallet width as well. :D
Brian

Jeff Wright
12-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Ben, I was just looking at those units. I think I like the G0563 better...longer belt and it does have the oscillating feature. The color is more compatible with my shop, too... :D ...I'm really not a fan of green tools no matter what the brand. But, of course...more money for that guy! Oh, well...

Jim, would the 30-inch table/platen on the G0563 be a problem doing 31-inch stiles? I make my cabinet cases 31 inches high (with detached 3.5 inch tow kicks) and was wondering if I would be frustrated with the platen not being long enough to do the job.

Also, what is the group's thoughts about this edge sander from International (not sure if it is the Canadian-built model or if it is made overseas):

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/15010a.html

Jim Becker
12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Jeff, I missed that dimension...for me, it would be less of an issue as I straight-line rip on my slider and it's an almost finish-ready surface, but if you need to sand 31" long pieces and the effective sanding length of the machine is less than that...well, it might not be the right machine for you! That General International ("International" denotes off-shore manufacture which I personally don't worry about) is a very nice looking machine.

I'm more interested in the edge sander for dealing with the ends of rail and stile doors, etc...they are a pain to sand by hand...and rarely all that wide.

Tim Marks
12-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Jim, would the 30-inch table/platen on the G0563 be a problem doing 31-inch stiles?
Heck, it's your money that I am spending, so here goes: spend another $223 and get the Grizzly G0564 with it's 39.5" platen size.

What I really love about this sander is how well built the table mounts are; everything is extemely sturdy, no way the cast iron table will deflect and mess up the sanding angle... unlike the cheaper 1531/1140 where the table is larger supported by a leadscrew and a stamped steel bracket... which is really the one of the biggest reasons I decided to shell out another (gasp) $700 for a quality machine.

I don't like the way the table is supported on the General International edge sander... again, it looks like a leadscrew and a couple knobs controls the MDF table height, and it could easilty be locked at a skewed angle and fles under load... a little more sturdy then the G0512, but I don't think I would like it.

Jeff Wright
12-13-2007, 1:36 PM
Heck, it's your money that I am spending, so here goes: spend another $223 and get the Grizzly G0654 with it's 39.5" platen size.

Tim, were you referring to the GO564 model? I don't see any GO654 modle listed on the Grizzly website. The 564 has two 4-inch dust collection ports which I like.

Paul Johnstone
12-13-2007, 2:57 PM
I think the OP needs to figure out why he is buying it.

I see some people are using it to sand rail and style pieces. I usually just run them through the drum sander (on edge).

I have a stationary combo belt and disk sander. I mainly use the belt, and use the belt for shaping styrofoam craft stuff, making pinewood derby cars, etc.. largely craft stuff.. not so much furniture making.

I have a miter trimmer, so I seldom use the disk for truing up a 45 degree angle. Hopefully, some day, I'll have time to make segmented turnings, which a disk sander is helpful for. But for me, it makes no sense to by a dedicated disk sander.

Really, if I didn't due craft stuff, the stationary belt sander would kind of be a waste. I did get it used though, and it's earned its keep on miscellaneus craft stuff.. But I could not justify a Delta sanding center.

If anyone else has a good use for a disk sander, other than rounding off corners, I'd like to hear it.

Finally, I do have a delta BOSS ocillating spindle sander, which is a godsend for sanding "inner" curves. I seldom use it, but it has really paid off on the few projects that I've needed it.

Jim Summers
12-13-2007, 3:41 PM
Paul,

You just answered some of what I was wondering. I have been seeing one of these sanding stations at the local Woodcrafter and wondered what I would use it for. Seemed useful, but I just wasn't sure what. The one I had seen is a Rikon with the disc below the belt and the end of the belt is exposed, could do some inside curve sanding I guess.

I hope to hear what others use a stationary type for also.

Thanks

Jeff Wright
12-13-2007, 3:57 PM
I think the OP needs to figure out why he is buying it.

Let's see . . . "OP" means original poster, right??

For your answer, refer back to my opening post where I share my intended use for the machine. :D

Paul Johnstone
12-13-2007, 4:35 PM
Let's see . . . "OP" means original poster, right??

For your answer, refer back to my opening post where I share my intended use for the machine. :D

As much as I'd love to spend your money, in my experience you don't use a belt/disc combo that much for furniture and built ins.
I think you'd get more use out of an occilating spindle sander, and that's only if you have a lot of curves to sand (particularly "inside" curves).

I know someone that loves to use a stationary belt sander for cleaning up tapers on table legs and other edges.. But I prefer a jointer or a drum sander for that (depending on how rough it is).

IMO, a belt sander leaves deep scratches that then have to be further cleaned up. But maybe I'm just not enlightened. I admit that I haven't tried finer grits on mine. Maybe it works ok. I'd love to hear more from fans of these machines, and get more use out of mine.

Steve Clardy
12-13-2007, 5:01 PM
6x89 Jet edge sander.
Its been a good machine over the years.
Purchased in 1999 I think.
Its been a godsend for doing cabinet doors.

Jeff Wright
12-13-2007, 5:17 PM
6x89 Jet edge sander.
Its been a good machine over the years.
Purchased in 1999 I think.
Its been a godsend for doing cabinet doors.

Steve, do you find the 30-inch platen long enough to do the job for cab doors, or do you wish you had one a bit longer like the 6x108 belt?

Steve Clardy
12-13-2007, 5:25 PM
Steve, do you find the 30-inch platen long enough to do the job for cab doors, or do you wish you had one a bit longer like the 6x108 belt?

This is a 33" platen on mine.

It does 95% of my doors [for length]

Unless I have a tall pantry door, this one does just fine.
Pantry doors, I just flip them over.

6x108 would be nice, but I don't plan on upgrading.

Dave Lehnert
12-13-2007, 5:27 PM
are going to laugh at me probably but it was a practical and great idea in my eyes - a disk sander -hmmmmm, Do you have a lathe with a faceplate? I have a 20" faceplate that I attach to the Oliver Lathe and I use this as my disk sander as well as a lathe. I just buy the round disks and stick them on with spray adhesive. It does a fantastic job- I have my dust collection on a swivel so all the dust gets sucked write into it. I was walking out the door one day on my way to get one and just happened to glance at my plates on the wall- ? an idea flashed through my head - mounted some mdf on the plate - turned it round and faced - tacked the disk I had laying around and the rest is history.I also can change the speed on the VFD which comes in handy as well. I saved myself $400- I was on my way to look at an older Oliver sander which would have cut down what space I have in my shop and my wallet width as well. :D
Brian

Same idea as the ShopSmith markV. The variable speed is something you would miss if going to a single speed unit. With the ShopSmith you use the same saw table and miter gauge set up. What that allows you to do is make a cut with the saw blade then change out to the disk sander and precisely sand the compound miter. You are using the same table/miter gauge set up.

Bill Wyko
12-13-2007, 5:28 PM
The RIKON belt/disc sander is a great set up and a great price. One reason I really like it is because the disc is lower than the belt, not on the same axis. This way the disc is never in the way and for 249.99 it's a bargain.

Dennis Meek
12-13-2007, 5:37 PM
Jeff
I have the Grizzly G1140 and I really like it. (I couldn't afford the oscillating one but would of prefered it.) Also, it has a 4" dust port that collects about 99% of the dust created. I find that I use it a lot.