PDA

View Full Version : 10 led lights on a string.

James Jaragosky
12-12-2007, 4:19 PM
Wally-world has some led lights for sale in their x-mas department. 10 lights on a string and it takes 3 aa batteries to power them. I rushed home to do a mock up with a wood base and a piece of acrylic I got from the borg.
I did a x-mas tree in .25 acrylic and applied a set of green lights in my wooden base, my wife loved it.
It is so crude that I will not post a picture of it here for fear I will give someone a heart attack from laughing so hard.
But I will start a finished proto-type after the Christmas rush of orders. I thought I would mention it now because they will pack them away after the holidays and they might be hard to get after that. The cost is 3.98 a set. Happy holidays for those that are not, and Marry Christmas for those that are. Jim

Scott Shepherd
12-12-2007, 4:30 PM
Thanks Jim, I have been working with 9V powered LED's this week, trying to make something and have it all work out like I want. Sounds like you found a good one that's cheap too. Can you give any more info, like maybe the item number or the brand or package?

Thanks-

James Jaragosky
12-12-2007, 4:58 PM
lol sure, i bought all the stock they had.
The product # is 62-820b
No brand, the official name is/ led teeny light set 10ct
Marketed by wall mart
Made in china ( go figure)
I also pick up a similar set there as well. But the light string is multi colored.
It takes just 2 aa \and is only 2.93 a 15ct count set.
It has a connector for a wall wart as well.
Item number is 07K03
No brand
Package says MINI LIGHTS
Dept 18
I only got 2 packages of the cheaper multi colored lights, I feel that the solid strings will work out better.

James Jaragosky
12-12-2007, 5:37 PM
Upon further testing and review the cheaper set of multi colored lights, I am thinking that they may not be led. I do not know how to tell the difference by looking at them. But the cheaper set is not as bright as the solid (known to be led by the packaging) set. They do work on the acrylic the same as the led set just not as bright, (they would be fine for smaller works) the predominant color of the multi colored set comes out as red in the acrylic tree that I etched. Hope this helps Jim

Scott Shepherd
12-12-2007, 6:02 PM
Thanks Jim, I'll off to Wally World! I spent some time in Radio Shack this week, getting different LED's and resistors or diodes or something with an electrical sounding name. Got some green one's hooked up, but they aren't bright enough to illuminate a sign very well, and they were out of the super bright white ones, not to mention they go for $5 each, so a string of bright LED's for less than $5 is something I'll be happy to locate!

Thanks for the heads up!

Scott Shepherd
12-12-2007, 6:56 PM
HOLY CRAP! That's a bright set of lights. 1 light did what I wanted done and it's a string of 10 of them.

A bit worried about the health risk on the label though. Wire contains lead and handling causes cancer, please wash hands after handling wire :eek:

Really really super bright and a great find. Thanks Jim!

James Rambo
12-12-2007, 7:52 PM
these are what my son made from a picture of his Toyota MR-2

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/jjrambo247/temp/th_edgelite.png (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/jjrambo247/temp/edgelite.png) http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/jjrambo247/temp/th_edgelite2.png (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/jjrambo247/temp/edgelite2.png)

James Jaragosky
12-12-2007, 7:57 PM
how old is you son. (please God don't let him say 5) just wondering because he does nice work. (little monster is makeing me look bad:o)
lol jk. hope he stays with it nice work:)

James Rambo
12-12-2007, 10:43 PM
James, my son used the multi colored 15 count light string from WM. He did not do this to show-up anyone. He has been working on the shape of the car for 3 or 4 days This is in a cheapo frame also from WM. The frame has a groove for the plexy to slide in and the LEDs were drilled into the edge of that groove to shine on the edge of the plexy. We like the way it lights up the vector engraved areas. I think it needs a little more in the picture to see other than the car.

P.s. Jeff is 27 yoa.

Eric Allen
12-13-2007, 6:05 PM
these are what my son made from a picture of his Toyota MR-2

That looks fantastic! You said the parts that are lit are vectored? I want to give that a go, had the idea in my head for a long time. I want to do a picture of the U.S.S. Nimitz up for my sister, not sure if I can make Christmas or not though:)

James Rambo
12-13-2007, 6:38 PM
The car was vector engraved on our EPILOG LEGEND60 watt at power 20% speed 50%. This setting cut between 40% and 60% thru 1/8 inch acrylic.

Eric Allen
12-14-2007, 3:36 AM
Heh, took two Wally Worlds and I only snagged one set of these, someone put that set in the wrong place and the wife found them just off my description. Great huntress:) The displays are even gone. I find that warning odd. Who puts lead in their plastic wire coatings? If it's there, I'm surprised they can even be marketed.

Scott Shepherd
12-14-2007, 8:16 AM
Eric, what concerned me more than anything was if I need to wash my hands after handling the wire, what's happening to the people at the factory where they are made? :eek:

The green are super bright. I'm trying to figure it all out so I can understand LED's and shop for the right ones, so I can build my own. I've got the basic knowledge down, now just trying to find a source for the right ones.

Dan Hintz
12-14-2007, 8:49 AM
I don't want to advertise as I'm here to learn, not sell, but check out some of the selections at http://www.Hi-TecDesigns.com (particularly the smaller items like the Minis). I use them to light up a lot of my smaller projects.

Jerry Allen
12-14-2007, 11:23 AM
I use a lot of white leds from All Electronics, #LED-121. They are very reliable. In a certain application, I just use two AA alkaline batteries with no resistors on one led and it will run for months. Granted the brightness goes down after a couple of weeks, but it is still bright enough months later to make a great night light.
Two AA alkaline batteries are about 3.6 volts when fresh which pushes the led a little hard at first, but that led can take it.

A simple guide for circuits is attached.
Some leds can take more, say 30mA, than they are rated for, usually 20mA, and some are pretty finicky and fry easily. It's good to do some testing before buying a lot for an application.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/340500/Ultrabright.html

George Elston
12-14-2007, 4:57 PM
Scott
Try superbrightleds.com