PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw purchase

David Siniard
02-20-2004, 7:17 AM
I am getting ready to buy a new tablesaw and wanted some opinions on the brands that I am looking at. They are......

1. General
2. Delta
3. Powermatic

As of right now the general is my choice. But I think that I need some more advice.. which ever one I get will be 5hp single phase and will have a 50 inch fence with extension table. All help and comments will be appreciated.

John Miliunas
02-20-2004, 7:49 AM
I am getting ready to buy a new tablesaw and wanted some opinions on the brands that I am looking at. They are......

1. General
2. Delta
3. Powermatic

As of right now the general is my choice. But I think that I need some more advice.. which ever one I get will be 5hp single phase and will have a 50 inch fence with extension table. All help and comments will be appreciated.

David, if you're set on a 5hp, I think you're right on with the General. :cool:

Mark Singer
02-20-2004, 7:52 AM
I have the 3Hp PM 66 and love it! General is good also.

John Weber
02-20-2004, 8:17 AM
David,

You can't go wrong with any of the three. I might lean toward locally available if possible. I have a Powermatic, but I'm and big General and Delta fan. So excellent choices.

John

Greg Heppeard
02-20-2004, 10:19 AM
I'd pick the PM over the Delta, the trunion is built a little better IMHO. I don't know much about General tho.

Tyler Howell
02-20-2004, 10:54 AM
How about Jet?? I really like the color.:rolleyes:
Some say color and features are the only differences.:confused:

I'm getting close to a decision but not there yet. I’ve read all the reviews and heard about companies selling out and merging resources.
I've even PMed our esteemed SMC members;)
This is going to be my last Cabinet saw.

Thanks

John what's that wood wacker you've got? Would you do it again?

Donnie Raines
02-20-2004, 10:57 AM
I have the 5 horse Unisaw with 52 inch rails, with Biesmeyer fence.....love it!

DonnieR

Arvin Brown
02-20-2004, 11:53 AM
I also have recently purchased the General, 52" wide table, Beismeyer fence, 5hp, 220-volt single phase. My opinion of Delta is that they make good equipment but are overpriced by 20-25%. Would be better to run 220-volt, 110-volt is kind of iffy - a little low. Especially when you get a nice thick piece of hard maple that may be a little wet. My previous saw had a 3-hp and I tripped breakers a few times in situations like that. That is why I went 220-volt this time.

Eric Porter
02-20-2004, 12:02 PM
David,
I just purchased 3hp Unisaw from Woodworker's supply. I have been too busy to completely assemble it, but I know that I am going to be extremely happy with it, especially for the money. Using the 10% off coupon code, I got the saw, Delta mobile base, and 50" Biesemeyer fence for only $1,350, and shipping is even free right now. The 5hp should run you about $1,620, but I don't think it will include the mobile base.

Eric

Terre Hooks
02-20-2004, 12:03 PM
I'd pick the PM over the Delta, the trunion is built a little better IMHO. I don't know much about General tho.

Tell me why you think that the trunion is better as a box style like the Powermatic versus the Delta. I've read this a million times on woodworking forums, but have yet to read a reason why.

Mark Bachler
02-20-2004, 12:18 PM
SW-315 Mini Max

sorry bout that.

just excited I guess.

running 220 next week

Robert Ducharme
02-20-2004, 1:27 PM
Never had any problems with my 5HP Delta Unimax with 52" Beisemeyer. However I am doing upgrades to it but I believe I would do those to any of the saws you mentioned. Definitely go 220V.

John Miliunas
02-20-2004, 1:33 PM
Never had any problems with my 5HP Delta Unimax with 52" Beisemeyer. However I am doing upgrades to it but I believe I would do those to any of the saws you mentioned. Definitely go 220V.

Robert, probably a dumb question, but here goes: With a 5hp, Uni & big Beisy, what "upgrades" to it would you want or are available? Seems to me that you've already got one kick-a$$ machine there! :cool:

Robert Ducharme
02-20-2004, 1:47 PM
well I was going to show a set of pictures later after I got the DC up. However, I purchased the following and will be installing them when I get time. (wall painting this weekend and DC hanging next week).

Incra TSLS fence
Router table system integrated in (must build cabinet, etc)
besimeyer splitter
Blade guard with DC collector (I think it was Excaibur - forget now)
Sliding table (laguna robler)?) professional)

Chris Padilla
02-20-2004, 2:30 PM
I'm curious what folks think about a 10" saw with a 3 HP or 5 HP motor.

Frankly, I'm not sure a 5 HP motor is needed with a 10" cabinet saw. Thoughts? You might be able to drag a dull blade through wet maple more easily, I guess.

Just curious. 3 years back when I bought my Griz 1023Z new, I was debating between 3 and 5 HP...for some reason, my father talked me into the 3. Seems fine to me thus far.

Definately wire it up to 240V...much easier and safer this way.

Donnie Raines
02-20-2004, 3:01 PM
I'm curious what folks think about a 10" saw with a 3 HP or 5 HP motor.

Frankly, I'm not sure a 5 HP motor is needed with a 10" cabinet saw. Thoughts? You might be able to drag a dull blade through wet maple more easily, I guess.

Just curious. 3 years back when I bought my Griz 1023Z new, I was debating between 3 and 5 HP...for some reason, my father talked me into the 3. Seems fine to me thus far.

Definately wire it up to 240V...much easier and safer this way.I have the 5 horse Unisaw. To be honest, I got a great deal on it...which is why I have it. Plus, it is rather unique...see the link below.

I have used 3 horse saws, and they did what my 5 horse does....whatever that means..

DonnieR

Chris Padilla
02-20-2004, 4:22 PM
Nice saw!!! So how ARE you going to protect the names?? :)

Greg Heppeard
02-20-2004, 4:25 PM
Where the worm gear contacts the adjustment gear, the straight adjustment gear is curved to provide more contact with the worm gear...in most other saws, the adjustment gear is flat.

Arvin Brown
02-20-2004, 4:33 PM
Chris - The 3 hp I had did okay. It only faulted (blowing fuses) when I tried to cut thick stock. When I did cut thick stock, I had to go slowly. The new 5 hp motor doesn't even know that it's cutting anything - very smooth. The 5 hp will last longer because you are not working it as hard.

John Miliunas
02-20-2004, 5:06 PM
I have the 5 horse Unisaw. To be honest, I got a great deal on it...which is why I have it. Plus, it is rather unique...see the link below.

I have used 3 horse saws, and they did what my 5 horse does....whatever that means..

DonnieROK Donnie, I'll bite. How in blazes did you manage that?! Man, that's a score and a half! You must be living a blessed life or something. :cool:

scott spencer
02-20-2004, 5:20 PM
They're all such great saws you can't go wrong. But if your heart is pulling you toward the General, you'd be "green" with envy if you get anything else. Plus, because of Wood's #1 ranking you'll have bragging rights until another review comes along! (LOL)

Steven Wilson
02-20-2004, 5:24 PM
I would go with a 3hp motor unless I was going to use the saw primarily for ripping stock with a powerfeeder, then I would go with a 5hp saw and maybe add the back clamp for the fence (an option on the Powermatic IIRC).

Donnie Raines
02-20-2004, 9:03 PM
OK Donnie, I'll bite. How in blazes did you manage that?! Man, that's a score and a half! You must be living a blessed life or something. :cool:
I bought this saw at my local Wood Craft. I was told by the owner that it was the display saw Delta used at many of the wood working shows. Through the saw's adventures, the autographs came about. It had never been used until I bought it not so long ago. I got a great deal. To be honest, I have not worried much about preserving the names.....many have called me crazy...but I bought the saw to use. maybe I will change my mind some day..... ;)

DonnieR

John Miliunas
02-20-2004, 10:51 PM
I bought this saw at my local Wood Craft. I was told by the owner that it was the display saw Delta used at many of the wood working shows. Through the saw's adventures, the autographs came about. It had never been used until I bought it not so long ago. I got a great deal. To be honest, I have not worried much about preserving the names.....many have called me crazy...but I bought the saw to use. maybe I will change my mind some day..... ;)

DonnieR

Well, I'm green with envy, Donnie! That's just too neat. I don't blame you for wanting to use it and no, I don't think you're crazy. But personally, I still think I would still hit the signatures with some clear coat and see if it works OK. If it does, you'd have the best of both worlds! :cool:

Gene Collison
02-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Definately wire it up to 240V...much easier and safer this way.[/QUOTE]

__________________________________________________ ___________

Chris,

I don't think you get a choice here do you? Any 3HP is going to be 220 right? 115 stops at 1 3/4 HP AFAIK.

Gene

Greg Heppeard
02-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Heck, I'd get a new tableboard and frame that one for my shop....

Pat Salter
02-21-2004, 1:12 AM
I just got a 1 1/2 horse Delta unisaw around christmas ( as a matter of fact, it WAS my Christmas present!). it was second hand. built in 1983 and I picked it up for $500. It's a 220 motor. I haven't had the time to do a great deal with it. I had to finish a small honey-do first (converted garage into two bedrooms w/laundry). Now that that is done I can start playing with the saw!
So far pushing 3/4 ply doesn't slow the motor. Can't afford any thick hardwoods yet to put it to a test.
I'm partial to Delta only because it's what I've used over the years. haven't tried either of the others.

mike malone
02-21-2004, 10:28 AM
when I bought my Griz 1023Z new, I was debating between 3 and 5 HP...for some reason, my father talked me into the 3. Seems fine to me thus far.(quote)

Way to go Chris...ALWAYS listen to your dad!
you're probably saving 40% on electricity as well.
mike

Terre Hooks
02-21-2004, 6:00 PM
Way to go Chris...ALWAYS listen to your dad!
you're probably saving 40% on electricity as well.
mike

How? My 3hp Unisaw is FLA rated at 12.4 amps @ 230v, while a Grizzly motor on their 3hp cabinet saw is rated at 18 FLA. A 5hp Unisaw is rated at 18 FLA, if I am not bad wrong.