PDA

View Full Version : Best grind for cross cuts?

Jason King
12-12-2007, 1:57 PM
Hello All,

I recently acquired a dual arbor table saw. One arbor will be used for ripping (flat top grind), and the other arbor will be used for cross cutting. The blades on this saw will be 16" in diameter. Changing blades on this saw will not be a picnic, so I would like one cross cutting blade for all my cross cutting needs. In addition, I have an odd arbor size (1 1/8 inches), so any blade I get will need to be modified to accept the larger arbor.

On this saw, I will normally be cutting solid wood, 1/2 to 3 inches thick (maximum), but I may run the occasional piece of ply through it as well.

If you had to choose one "perfect" blade or grind in these circumstances, what would it be?

Thanks

Jim Becker
12-12-2007, 2:06 PM
Consider an ATB for the "cross cut" blade so you can also use it for those "quick" cuts with the grain, rather than changing your setups. It's also great for the sheet goods when paired with a zero clearance insert...minimal tearout.

Chris Padilla
12-12-2007, 2:10 PM
Wow, this is a hidden gloat thread and we DESPERATELY need pics of this monstrosity!! :D

Man, it would be so nice to have an x-cut and rip blade and not have to change 'em out! :D

16" diameter saw blade?! :eek: Holy Toledo, Batman. What was this saw used for before you acquired it? What is the motor size on it?

Jason King
12-12-2007, 2:27 PM
Well, here she is. A 1905 American Woodworking Machinery Universal Saw Bench.

The left side of the divided table slides, and has multiple stops for most cross cutting angles. (it acts as a cross cut sled). The saw arbors are fixed at 90 degrees, and as a result are extremely stable. The entire table assembly will tilt to 45 degrees if needed.

The two massive saw blades are attached to a central "hub" in the belly of the beast. The blades rotate around the hub as they are rasied and lowered. When it was initially sold the manufacturer boasted that it could cut a 2" wide Dado, but I don't think I can afford to buy a 16" dado for this thing quite yet.

All totaled the saw weighs in at 2250 lbs. Lets just say it was an adventure to move it. I've got a bit of restoration work to do before its ready to run, but the saw is amazingly complete for being 100+ years old.

Sadly it didn't come with a motor. I'm debating on whether to purchase a modern 5hp single phase motor, or go for three phase and run a rotary phase converter.

As I clean her up and get her ready, I'll update everyone.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/c5/70/8c3e_1.JPG

Chris Padilla
12-12-2007, 3:37 PM
*~*drool*~*

Now THAT is a "hunk o' irn!" :)