PDA

View Full Version : Checking in on my Bandsaw decision

Brian Kent
12-12-2007, 1:34 PM
I have read and re-read and re-re-read the bandsaw threads and bandsaw reviews and the bandsaw book and have gotten a ton of great information. So I am now checking in with the experts (you!) to see if I got it right.

I am a 52 year old woodworker and in the next 40 years I plan on trying a lot of different kinds of woodworking. I have limited space - one car space plus part of the other car space while I am working. I have built boxes, inlaid picture frames, small furniture, and hand tools. I want to build anything and everything.

My target budget is just $750 plus tax/shipping. At the outermost I could wait a couple of months and stretch to $1,000 plus tax/shipping.

My Choice #1 - Grizzly G0513. The web page says $850 but Wood magazine ad says $750 until December 31. I checked and this is not a mistake.
2 hp. 17" I trust Grizzly (experience and good reviews).
But aluminum wheels.

Choice #2 - Grizzly G0513X2. ($950) 2 hp, heavy, cast iron wheels and table trunions, resaw fence, 17"
But is an 80" tall bandsaw a little overwhelming for a one car-space shop?

Choice #3 - Grizzly G0457 ($825). 2 HP, Cast Iron Wheels, resaw fence, but 14".

I await your collective wisdom:D!

alex grams
12-12-2007, 1:50 PM
if you are going to go for the 513, I would suggest you go ahead and bite the bullet on the 513x2. 6" of height wont make much of a difference in its size, and if you notice ,the overall width and depth of the 513x2 is less than the 513x (though what does 4" and 2" really mean, it is minimal).

If you get the lesser of the tools, you (at least from my perspective) would only regret not going ahead and getting the bigger/better saw.

I say the 513x2, i love mine.

Jim Becker
12-12-2007, 1:55 PM
The G0513 has many satisfied users, but it's nice to have the G0513X as an alternative. Were it me, I'd opt for number two (the G0513X) as it's a better choice for the long run. It's not overkill, IMHO, either, no matter what size shop you have, especially if you want to really use it beyond basic cutting.

Wilbur Pan
12-12-2007, 2:22 PM
Choice #2 - Grizzly G0513X2. ($950) 2 hp, heavy, cast iron wheels and table trunions, resaw fence, 17"
But is an 80" tall bandsaw a little overwhelming for a one car-space shop?

The only way an 80" tall bandsaw would be overwhelming for a shop is if you had 79" ceilings. ;)

Of your three choices, I'd go with the G0513X2. The extra cast iron in the wheels and trunnions will be well worth it.

Rod Sheridan
12-12-2007, 2:47 PM
Brian, I am pleased to see that you have woodworking planned into your ninth decade, I have also made similar plans.

I also suggest the bandsaw with the cast iron wheels, you won't regret it over the next 40 years. I have a 17" bandsaw with cast iron wheels and the extra inertia, as well as the smoothness is worth the money.

Regards, Rod.

John Bailey
12-12-2007, 4:05 PM
Go with any of the 17"'s you mention. The more varied your projects, the more the throat size comes into play. Haven't heard any negative reports on any of the 17" Grizzly's.

John

Richard Dragin
12-12-2007, 4:20 PM
I have a 0513X in my one car garage shop and I don't think the foot print is much more than a 14". In the true spirit of SMC I will also encourage you to spend more than you budgeted and say go for the 17" with cast wheels.

Brian Kent
12-12-2007, 4:53 PM
I had planned on adding up the votes and seeing how that weighed my decision. I am pretty surprised at the consensus. So here is my updated set of preferences:

1st Choice - The Grizzly G0513X2
The extra $200 buys cast iron wheels and trunions, a resaw fence, a larger table, an extra 93 lbs of heft, and the knowledge that I stretched and didn't skimp on the budget. I assume that the blade size 131-1/2" is a standard size? It also means I'll buy in a month or so instead of this month, which is better since my sons stuff is still filling my garage until the end of January:rolleyes:!

2nd Choice - The Grizzly G0513

3rd choice - None for now.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-12-2007, 5:13 PM
The MiniMax 16" MM class saw (the more expensive of the two 16" saws) is the one that has my attention. I'm pretty convinced that it is the gold standard.

Richard Dragin
12-12-2007, 6:03 PM
I assume that the blade size 131-1/2" is a standard size?

Not really but it doesn't matter. You won't be able to walk into a store and buy a blade but that holds true for most larger saws. You will order blades which is no problem since none of the manufacturers stock sizes, they make them all to order. I am pleased with Suffolk as are many here but you will get several other recommendations. I suppose you will have to do another informal poll to decide.

Wade Lippman
12-12-2007, 7:26 PM
Tough choice; no perfect saw.
I agree with everyone else. I would consider the 14" saw but it only cuts 10" thick, and I often need more clearance than that. I think cast iron wheels really help also, so I would be reluctant to save a few dollars on the 513.

If you feel lucky, I would also recommend waiting until you can afford it and buying the 514X. The 3hp motor, with cast iron wheels, is really nice. I bought mine this summer for about $1000, but it is supposed to go up in January,

Greg Pavlov
12-12-2007, 7:38 PM
The only way an 80" tall bandsaw would be overwhelming for a shop is if you had 79" ceilings. ;)

I'm dealing with an 80" ceiling and my guess is that the max height tool I can deal with is probably in the 74" range: I have to be able to stand it up, and I have to be able to get at the top of it every once in a while. It would be great if there was an alternative (short of jacking the house up and adding a foot to the foundation), I'd jump on it if anyone has any ideas.

Brian Kent
12-12-2007, 11:23 PM
I just looked at the spec sheet. the G0513X2 is 73" tall. The 80' height apparently refers to shipping height.

Tim Marks
12-13-2007, 12:25 AM
the bottom line.... maybe I should subscribe to Wood magazine so I can get the inside scoop on these off-line specials...

You shouldn't be surprised when people here recommend a more expensive tool, it is always easier to spend someone else's money:D. Actually, most people here have settled on less expensive options, only to regret it later, which strongly tempers advice offerred to others. Some said it best "Buy quality, cry once. Buy cheap, and cry twice".

The bandsaw is my favorite tool, and I don't believe that you will ever be sorry that you sized up a little bit in this purchase. I would say definite no to the 14" (BTDT, and you don't have room for two bandsaws...), and that in the end you will not be sorry for the upgrade for cast iron wheels and a sturdier table. Grizzly has a great product line in bandsaws, and at this price point, it is always easy to look at the next model up and think about what an extra $100 or $200 will get you. I think the 513X2 is an awesome choice.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2007, 1:21 AM
Brian....The GO513X2 was definitely on my final list. For the money it looks like it will handle most things. I was in a slightly different situation than most. I'm nearing retirement and I wanted to outfit my shop with tools that would last my lifetime. I'm not wealthy but I've had a 401K for over 30 years. At the encouragement of my wife, I borrowed against my 401K and purchased the large tools I needed with the best quality that I could afford. In two years the tools are paid off and I"m retired. I elected to buy a MM-16. It has plenty of h/p for resawing and I'm sure my two sons will argue over who gets it, if they haven't started already. Once I retire I won't have the income to buy great tools. That being said.....as several have stated, the G0513X2 looks like a great tool for the price.