View Full Version : Wiring Push Button Switch

steve swantee
12-12-2007, 1:32 PM
Hello Folks, I just picked up a push button on/off switch at Busy Bee in Dartmouth the other day to replace the toggle switch on my tablesaw. Anyway, I am fairly comfortable with wiring, but have not wired this type of switch before, and there is no schematic on the box. So, is it similar to a light switch, where the neutral runs continuous and the hot wire is broken at the switch? Or is it some other configuration? I would rather get it right the first time than try to "wing it".

Thanks, Steve

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

Chris Padilla
12-12-2007, 1:53 PM
Steve,

Do you have an ohmeter or digital voltmeter? You can "buzz it" to determine how it works so you can wire it up properly.

I'd recommend a pricier magnetic switch for a table saw.

However, be that is it may, it probably just breaks the hot wire only but we can't be sure without a picture. Are there only two contacts on it? If so, it is just a SPST, like an ordinary light switch.

Brian Dormer
12-13-2007, 4:44 PM
In all probability, the wiring of a toggle .vs. a push button shouldn't be any different (ie you are switching the hot lead). But you could check it with a meter just to be sure.

If you really don't know - find someone (an electrician) that does. Remember that electricity can kill you.