PDA

View Full Version : gooey mess

Greg Stanford
12-12-2007, 9:28 AM
I've had my tools stored in a friend's shed while we moved & I got some work done on what is to be the new shop. This was for about a month & a half. I went yesterday to pick up the tools. He had decided that it was too damp in the shed - this is south mississippi, it's damp everywhere. Somebody he worked with told him you could spray "pam" on the surfaces to prevent rust. He did. Only it wasn't pam, it was some kind of knock off brand, best buy, butter flavered goop. Which is what I found when I uncovered my tablesaw & lathe. Butter flavored goop.

This evening I'm planing to use warm water & dish soap to wash the surfaces, then dry well, then wd-40 & a scouring pad, wipe clean & paste wax. Anything wrong w/ the plan? Any better ideas? Thanks.

g

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Use kero or mineral spirits and NEVER use soap and water.

All veggie oils have some acidity and some water be prepared for a few ugly spots.

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2007, 10:42 AM
I vote for mineral spirits to clean up the goop. If it's now working fast enough for ya, then switch to Acetone. Wear gloves when working with chemicals.

And yes....south Mississippi is humid...much like it is here. :rolleyes: ;)

Jerry Clark
12-12-2007, 11:42 AM
If you use Acetone-- don't get any on painted surfaces. It will remove most paint!:cool: Cheap paint thinner is best!:D

Lee Schierer
12-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Your plan sounds fine except for the soap and water part.

Lee

Doug Shepard
12-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd heat them tools up and toss some Orville Redenbacher's on them. Should soak up most of the butter:D. After that, I'd try mineral spirits or maybe denatured alcohol.

Greg Stanford
12-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks everybody, I didn't think about mineral spirits - mostly cause I don't know what they put in these "non stick" sprays. That's what I'll do though, it's a nasty looking mess & smells like rancid butter.

g

Chris Padilla
12-12-2007, 1:11 PM
I'd use the citrus stuff...smells a lot better and not as dangerous as the other stuff. Goo Gone is what it is called, I think.