PDA

View Full Version : Waterborne Floor Finishing

chris yount
12-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I have a friend who is installing hardwood flooring in a bedroom.He likes the look of the bare woood and wants a clear finish.I suggested varathane diamond but I've only used waterborne over stained wood.If he were to use the waterborne on bare flooring should he put down a seal coat to prevent the grain of oak from raising or would he be fine without it? I suggested to play around with the scrap pieces to get an idea,but would really like to know if someone has expirence with this type of finish.
Thanks chris

Terry Teadtke
12-12-2007, 12:05 AM
No need for a seal coat. I just installed and finished a hardwood floor and used a water base finish. The first coat will raise the grain a little but that will even out when you screen it. The second coat will come out smooth.

Steve Schoene
12-12-2007, 8:41 AM
This is a case where you need to read and follow all the manufacturer's directions. For example, the Boni Kemi Traffic waterborne that is going to be applied on floors in my new house today (finally) calls specifically for a sealer on floors that have not been stained giving a sealer plus 2 coat system. Other manufacturer's may prefer self sealing. There is so much work preparing floors to be finished or refinished it is not a good place for experimenting.

chris yount
12-12-2007, 8:24 PM
thanks for the help.
ill be sure to pass this on.