PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Board Rubber Feet

Mike Conley
12-11-2007, 8:44 PM
I went to Rockler today to look for some rubber feet to put on some cutting boards I am making. I was looking for some black rubber feet that would attach with a small screw. All they had was grey rubber.

I found some online but shipping is ridiculous for such small items. I also looked at Lowes but didn't find anything.

Where do you guys buy yours?

John Kali
12-11-2007, 8:49 PM
I found these at lowes, and some rubber stickeys that go right on the bottom of these...the best part is they are adjustable with the screws so you can get the board to stop rocking even if the surface it is on isn't flat.

Bill Huber
12-11-2007, 8:53 PM
I know what you are looking for and but I am not sure were you can get them. If you have a good Ace near you, you may try them, they carry a lot of neat stuff.

On all my boards I have just used the vinyl stick on ones and they have been doing find and none have come off that I know of. The board that we use here at the house is 8 months old and they are still holding good.

Joe Unni
12-11-2007, 9:07 PM
Mike,

I actually use the grey Rockler feet (Brainerd 1/2" x 1/4"). Set in 1" from each edge and you can't even see them. I do, however replace the supplied screws with brass screws - afraid of rust.

Good luck,
-joe

Ed Ditto
12-11-2007, 11:18 PM
I just picked up several blister packs of little rubber feet at Lowe's. They're called "bumpers" and were with the felt pads and casters and suchlike floor protection stuff...

Ed

Eddie Howard
12-12-2007, 9:08 AM
Go to Home Depot and look for "Surface Grip" brand they come in a couple of different sizes. They are rubber with a stainless steel screw. About 2.50 for 4 or 6 depending on the size.

Richard M. Wolfe
12-12-2007, 9:59 AM
Go to any hardware or big box store and get some door bumpers. Like Joe, I use brass screws instead of the ones that come with them if the item (like cutting boards) are going to be around moisture a lot. I don't know how the stick-ons would work but for something like a cutting board that's moved a lot I feel better screwing them down.

Doug Shepard
12-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Electronics parts supply places probably have the biggest selection of sizes as they're used under most stereo, TV, other gizmo chassis.

Thom Sturgill
12-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Huh? Why ruin one side of the board? I haven't made cutting boards in almost 20 years since my brothers and I made a bunch for Christmas presents one year. I still use one I made back then. I use both sides and scrape it down and re-oil it as needed.

Brian Weick
12-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Has rubber feet - about 1-1/4" in diameter and 3/8" thick, they are black and come in a set of 4 with 4 screws and are recessed in the rubber feet- nice- I used then for a table I made on the bottom of the legs- worked really good.
Brian

Gary Keedwell
12-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Huh? Why ruin one side of the board? I haven't made cutting boards in almost 20 years since my brothers and I made a bunch for Christmas presents one year. I still use one I made back then. I use both sides and scrape it down and re-oil it as needed.
While reading this thread I have been thinking the same thing. We like to use one side and use the other side as "show".
Gary

Chris Barnett
12-12-2007, 10:43 AM
At Lowes look for the plastic slider floor protectors with a white plastic tip and projecting nail, including a black plastic spacer; spacer can be removed and used as a foot. Then you still have the white plastic slider with a nail (the head is embedded), to use elsewhere, as on the bottom of legs to protect a wood floor, or even cutting boards, if one uses a hammer to assemble their cutting boards :D

Brian Weick
12-12-2007, 10:47 AM
you make a frame base- with feet so you could drop it in the frame and be able to use both sides? that would work- It's always nice to have feet on the bottom- although you don't need them unless you have a very slick surface- I have 7 cutting boards some are the white poly and the rest wood-
Brian

John Gregory
12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I got lucky, I got the ones like those at Rocklers but in black, at a local WW'ng store for 0.05 each, no screws though, but at that price I have screws already

Pat Germain
12-12-2007, 2:41 PM
It seems many woodworkers think alike. I had this very issue two weeks ago. I didn't like the clear bumpers they had at my local Woodcraft. I went to Lowe's and found some black stick-on rubber pads. I put a recessed brass screw in each rubber pad. No. They're not going anywhere.

I also thought about leaving both sides available for cutting. Since my boards are made from 8/4", I thought it would be best to make them very stable. I wouldn't want one sliding off a counter and onto someone's foot (ouch!). Therefore, I signed the bottom and put on the rubber feet. I had them sitting on my breakfast bar when my wife hosted a woman's Bible study. Now everybody wants one. I guess that means they turned out well. :)

Pat Germain
12-12-2007, 2:46 PM
Since they're not real without a picture, here you go...

Eric DeSilva
12-12-2007, 4:18 PM
I'm with Thom... I have a number of epicurian color/size-coded cutting boards that I use regularly (I use different boards for cross-contamination reasons, a practice I'd recommend). None of them have feet. I generally put them on a folded dishtowel when cutting... Stays flat and doesn't slip.

Jeff Hallam
12-12-2007, 5:49 PM
I just made a bunch for Christmas gifts and I found some brown rubber feet at Lee Valley. Used all brass screws with them so no rusting etc...

Whatever material they are made out of does the job, they don't slide when given a sideways push.

Dave Hale
12-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Home Depot - Shepherd brand. Surface Grip like someone said earlier.
I use the 1" ones for the Wood Magazine sized boards. Looking at the package right now. Has 9644 in the bottom left of the package. Couldn't find them on the HD website, but my local HD seems to always have 4 or 5 on the rack. I find them right with the 'sliding' floor protectors and felt pads in the aisle with hardware pulls and hinges. Hope this helps.

BTW. Check with receiver of the board. I find it's about 50% want and the rest don't. :)

Mike Conley
12-13-2007, 8:03 AM
Since they're not real without a picture, here you go...

Nice boards Pat.

Pat Germain
12-13-2007, 11:24 PM
^^ Thanks, Mike. I got the directions right here on SMC. :) Making those boards was a great way to dial in and become familiar with my tools. It was also nice to make something besides bookcases, which is all my wife and daughter ever seem to want. :rolleyes:

Gene Harris
12-19-2007, 7:00 PM
I get at Lowes rubber ( plastic) type washers used for plumbing. They are tapered and have a nice hole and I attach with SS screws. The head of screw is almost invisable so works good for me.

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2007, 8:22 PM
I use the ones that I found at HD and I fasten them to the bottom of the cutting board with stainless steel screws. Works really well.