PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my 6 Gal Vac when hooked up to Sander

Ben Martin
12-11-2007, 6:47 PM
Guys, just wondering if any of you have experienced this problem. I just got the Bosch hose attachment to hook up my Bosch sanders to my 6 gal. Ridgid shop vac. The problem is that when I hook up the Bosch hose, which is about 1" in dia. the vac emits this blood curdling whistle noise that pierces my ears. I called Bosch Customer support (which were very nice) and explained the problem, I thought that there might be a hole in the hose or something, but liked the guy explained I think that there is a problem with the vac, it doesn't make this noise other times, but when you put on the small hose, it starts working very hard and making the weird noise.

Anyone else had this problem? I am not in a hurry to buy another shop-vac, but if I have to...

frank shic
12-11-2007, 6:51 PM
is the hose clogged with anything? if it is, the vac motor will usually ramp up and make a much louder noise than it usually makes.

Ben Martin
12-11-2007, 7:00 PM
is the hose clogged with anything? if it is, the vac motor will usually ramp up and make a much louder noise than it usually makes.

Nope, this is the first time that I have tried to use it.

David Eisan
12-11-2007, 7:04 PM
I had the same problem. I have the Bosch 1250DVS

http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H=175979&G=54925&I=55096

(great sander!) and I connected it to my large Ridgid shop vac with the Porter Cable small hose attachment. It screamed like a banshee.

My solution was an easy one, I bought a Fein Turbo II! Sucks dust great and turns on with the sander.

David.

John Thompson
12-11-2007, 7:06 PM
I don't hear all that well after VN Ben, but I can most definitely hear the same whine with a portable Shop-vac contractor 5.5 HP vac hooked to my Bosch 5" ROS. That thing has got some suction. I personally think it is not getting enough air on the intake end with the sander base sealing it too well but desperately trying too?

My solution was to hook up to one of two smaller Shop Vac 2.5 HP (the older black models for about $29 at the time) and noise be gone. So is the dust for that matter as I again don't personally think it requires that much hoss for the sander to function properly as a dust unit.

Sarge..

Tom Slupek
12-11-2007, 7:08 PM
Guys, just wondering if any of you have experienced this problem. I just got the Bosch hose attachment to hook up my Bosch sanders to my 6 gal. Ridgid shop vac. The problem is that when I hook up the Bosch hose, which is about 1" in dia. the vac emits this blood curdling whistle noise that pierces my ears. I called Bosch Customer support (which were very nice) and explained the problem, I thought that there might be a hole in the hose or something, but liked the guy explained I think that there is a problem with the vac, it doesn't make this noise other times, but when you put on the small hose, it starts working very hard and making the weird noise.

Anyone else had this problem? I am not in a hurry to buy another shop-vac, but if I have to...

There is nothing wrong with your shop vac. It is caused by air flow and too small of a hose id. If you continue to do that you will most likely burn up the shop vac motor.

I use a 5 gallon bucket with one of those cyclone separator lids as an air chamber before the shop vac. Small 1.25" id hose hooked up from sander to bucket than 2.5" hose from bucket to shop vac.

To test my theory hook up a 2.5" hose to your shop vac and put an adapter to 1.25" hose on the end. The adapter can be bought for few bucks at any borg. Most likely you will get similar results without having the sander hooked up.

Ben Martin
12-11-2007, 7:17 PM
There is nothing wrong with your shop vac. It is caused by air flow and too small of a hose id. If you continue to do that you will most likely burn up the shop vac motor.

I use a 5 gallon bucket with one of those cyclone separator lids as an air chamber before the shop vac. Small 1.25" id hose hooked up from sander to bucket than 2.5" hose from bucket to shop vac.

To test my theory hook up a 2.5" hose to your shop vac and put an adapter to 1.25" hose on the end. The adapter can be bought for few bucks at any borg. Most likely you will get similar results without having the sander hooked up.

Are you talking about a Dust Deputy type cyclone? I was thinking about getting one of those since I am very tired of the messy filter. What size shop vac do you have hooked up to your cyclone? I wonder if my 6 gal. would work, or do I need to get a bigger shop vac...

glenn bradley
12-11-2007, 7:26 PM
Pop one of these inline. The red collar allows you to reduce the amount of suction to your requirement. This stops the whistling on mine and also keeps the vac from sucking so hard it impedes the ROS head movement. Home Depot has them for about 8 bucks IIRC:

http://totalvac.com/accessory/parts/VT2505.html

I don't use the Bosch hose. The standard Shop-Vac 2 1/4 to 1 1/4 hose slips over the Bosch adapter on my 1295.

Ben Martin
12-11-2007, 7:41 PM
Pop one of these inline. The red collar allows you to reduce the amount of suction to your requirement. This stops the whistling on mine and also keeps the vac from sucking so hard it impedes the ROS head movement. Home Depot has them for about 8 bucks IIRC:

http://totalvac.com/accessory/parts/VT2505.html

I don't use the Bosch hose. The standard Shop-Vac 2 1/4 to 1 1/4 hose slips over the Bosch adapter on my 1295.

I would assume that you are saying that the suction varier (sp?) is what you are saying reduces the noise. The Bosch hose has that built in and no matter where I set it at, the noise won't go away. Unless there is something with the design of the handle.

Dave Hale
12-11-2007, 7:44 PM
I thought the screeching noise was from the hose itself. Only time I hear mine is when that tiny hose isn't connected to anything. I've got the Rigid SNR and I can hear it working harder, but I'm pretty sure the noise is in the hose. Probably just me, though.

Glenn has a great solution. Only so much air can fit through that little hose, so letting in additional air so the vacuum isn't starved for air sounds like a 'sound' idea. :)

glenn bradley
12-11-2007, 8:49 PM
I would assume that you are saying that the suction varier (sp?) is what you are saying reduces the noise. The Bosch hose has that built in and no matter where I set it at, the noise won't go away. Unless there is something with the design of the handle.

Nope, it does what your's does. Can you locate the whistler; leak around the Bosch adapter, the sanding pad holes or something specific?

Bill Huber
12-11-2007, 9:03 PM
My Ridgid shop vac is a 2 1/4 in hose and if you stop it down at all it will start running harder and make more noise.

When I put my smaller 1 1/4 hose on the sander I open one of my blast gates a little so as to keep the same air flow in the vac.

With the full vac it is just to much for the sander anyway and it is cutting the vacuum down to the vac which is taking the load off and makes it run faster which is not the best thing for the vac.

Ben Martin
12-13-2007, 9:38 PM
Ok, now I am mad and my ear rings. :(

I just got back from the HD and had purchased a 14 Gal. Ridgid SNR vac along with a muffler. First, I tried to attach the muffler to my 6 gallon vac, no beans, the thing still howled like a banshee. SO, I put together the SNR hooked up the Bosch hose and the sander, and hoped for big things. NO LUCK, my ear is ringing soo bad right now from trying to get that thing not to squeal. I tried calling Bosch customer service, but they are closed. There is definitely a manufacturers defect with that hose that is causing it to make that noise. It looks like I got to wait till tomorrow to call Bosch. Do you think that they will send me a new one? Or I could stop by the place I bought it and hope that they will believe my story and exchange it for a new one.