PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper Question (Kingspor's)

Carroll Courtney
12-11-2007, 6:33 PM
Guys,I just look at Kingspor's web site and I did not know that I had that many choices.The norm for me is run down to HD and buy a pack of Norton's 3x extra fine 120-320 grit.I can fold it up and sand or cut it up for my different size sanding blocks.Well at 1.40 a sheet,I decided to go shopping at Kingspor's.I like the 9X11 sheets,but I don't know what the A or D means other than the grit numbers.On the paper that I buy,it says P320.At kings I did not see a P,just A,D.I do know what garnet paper is,but that's about it.Can someone offer suggestion on the 9X11 sheets for sanding bear wood,oil base primers,and white and clear lacquers.I hate to show my ignorance about sandpaper,but I have never gave it any thought until now.Thanks SMC and keep the laughter down:rolleyes:CJ Courtney

Doug Shepard
12-11-2007, 6:39 PM
I pretty sure the A and D numbers are the paper weight (thickness) and think it goes A..D as it increases. The lighter wieghts are more flexible but dont last quite as long. If I'm right, the D paper is probably more money than the A.

Joseph N. Myers
12-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Carroll,

I've been buying sandpaper from Klingspor's for well over 15 years and always have been happy with both the quality and price. And for many years, they had a a really long and detailed description of the different codes they would use for their products.

Well I looked for the descriptions in my catalogs and on the web and can't find it. The web site has some information, left side of page, down a few lines, red "sanding info", but not the lettering, numbers, etc. The catalog has move information but again, not the lettering, numbers, etc.

In any event, I would call them and ask them for details, they have always been very helpful, 800-228-0000. And of course, order a catalog --- it's interesting to see how many different types of sandpapers are out there.

BTW, the sandpaper from Klingspor's (or from other "good" vendors) are probably 5 times better than that from the Borg's and less than half the price. And if you use one of those "abrasive cleaning sticks", the paper will lasts at least 2-3 times longer.

And if your really looking for a deal, the 20 lb bargain box is really a great deal. A real variety of sandpaper, heavy duty, wet/dry, random sizes, etc, which I cut up for my various sanders. Sometimes the box will include rolls of 3" paper that I can use for my drum sander. In any event, figure I'm paying less than 0.10 a square foot.

Regards, Joe

Scott Kuykendall
12-13-2007, 8:54 AM
Give them a call and they will help you with which paper is the best for you. They are very helpful with recommendations.
Scott

Charlie Schultz
12-13-2007, 11:57 AM
The paper info is under their "reference desk": http://www.klingspor.com/abrasivebackings.htm

Gary Ratajczak
12-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Try this one out

http://www.ind.carborundumabrasives.com/Media/Documents/S0000000000000001045/CA1000%20Coated%20Basics.pdf