PDA

View Full Version : Oneida Dust Deputy Problem

Jerry Booher
12-11-2007, 6:03 PM
I just received an Oneida Dust Deputy today. I have a connection problem with the ports. The outlet goes to the shop vac, but the diameter is too small for the Ridgid, Craftsman and Love-Less vac hoses. The inlet is really tiny (about 1.25") and of course will not work with any of my 3 shop vac hoses. Therefore, none of my shop vac accessories can be used.

I contacted Oneida and they said they make it too small so all vac hoses will fit if I buy an adapter and a hose clamp for the shop vac. Also, I need to buy a tiny hose and some tools for the inlet. So, for me the Dust Deputy is worthless. I can send it back and lose $40 + $40 shipping or take their advice and keep it.

Does anybody know how I can use this?

Jerry

Adam Slutsky
12-11-2007, 6:45 PM
Jerry:

I bought one and hooked it up to my shop vac and it seems to work well. I bought the couplings for the hookup to my shop vac from Oneida. Then I got one of those universal adaptors at Home Depot and used it to hook to the machine.

Adam

Jamie Buxton
12-11-2007, 6:49 PM
1 1/4" sounds like the hoses intended to hook to hand tools like sanders and such. The smaller diameter makes it more flexible than the larger diameter hoes. Fein and Festool and Bosch and the like use that diameter. You could get a hose from one of those companies.

glenn bradley
12-11-2007, 7:34 PM
The inlet is made for a smaller hose as one would use on a ROS or some-such. I was surprised to find how many different hoses and adapters my local home-vac repair shop had. I would never have thought of it. My dad told me about it.

Jim Eller
12-11-2007, 7:59 PM
I too have had the same problem. I just use a couple wraps of duct tape to make things fit and seal.

My ROS and dust sander are inseparable from my Dust Deputy. I love the way it works.

Jim

Don Bullock
12-11-2007, 8:17 PM
Jerry, I hear your pain and understand your confusion. I did exactly the same thing. Now, that I've finally "solved" the problem by spending extra $$ it works great!

Jerry:

I bought one and hooked it up to my shop vac and it seems to work well. I bought the couplings for the hookup to my shop vac from Oneida...

Adam

Than's exactly what I did. The connection on the ShopVac side works with their adaptors. The inlet side is another story. I had to buy one of their hoses because I couldn't find another one that would fit then I had to buy an extra Bosch adaptor to fit the vacuum adaptor on my Bosch sander. Nothing on these things is standard.

1 1/4" sounds like the hoses intended to hook to hand tools like sanders and such. The smaller diameter makes it more flexible than the larger diameter hoes. Fein and Festool and Bosch and the like use that diameter. You could get a hose from one of those companies.

You are correct about the reason for the smaller inlet. A Dust Deputy is designed to work with hand tools, not large machines. The only hose that will fit well is the one Oneida sells.

Tom Hamilton
12-11-2007, 8:39 PM
Jerry, as usual the advice from the Creek is solid. Though meant for hand tools I've had mine rigged with standard size ShopVac hose since day one. The replacement hose kit from the Borg had removable ends. Without the hard plastic end a standard old fashioned automotive hose clamp holds the hose to the Dust Deputy intake and outlet.

I've used mine with a DeWalt 735 planer, table saw, ROS, and recently on the lathe during sanding. The stuff in the bucket tells me it works!

So I would encourage you to innovate rather than return!

Best regards, Tom

John Shuk
12-11-2007, 8:43 PM
Jerry:

I bought one and hooked it up to my shop vac and it seems to work well. I bought the couplings for the hookup to my shop vac from Oneida. Then I got one of those universal adaptors at Home Depot and used it to hook to the machine.

Adam

I got the universal adaptor as well. It works well with that.