PDA

View Full Version : Some time you just have to change direction

Cliff Polubinsky
12-11-2007, 5:58 PM
Well, a couple of weeks ago my middle daughter asked me to make her a quilt stand for Christmas to replace the one that just broke. I was going to start it this week and then after Christmas I was going to start on a pair of cradles, one for her sister who's due in July - 3rd child - and one for her - first child. She's due in June which came as a surprise since she and her husband had been trying for years and had exhausted the fertility clinic route. In fact they had started adoption proceedings. Which is where the change in direction comes in.

The lawyer called her yesterday morning to tell her a young woman had delivered a boy the day before, was giving him up for adoption and had picked them as the parents. They're on the way to the Indianapolis area to pick up their son - she driving, he in the back seat frantically trying to assemble the baby car seat they picked up on the way out of town.

So, time to set the quilt stand plans aside for the moment and quickly start looking for cradle plans. I'm good with that.

And after hearing so many similar stories from so many people, I'm beginning to wonder that if the fertility clinics started to offer adoption services they might be a lot more effective.

And yes, this is a stealth gloat :D.

Cliff

Rick Gifford
12-11-2007, 6:03 PM
Wow! :) Congrats on the family growth spurt!

Looks like your gonna be busy making all kinds of things for the grandkids over the years.

I look forward to seeing the cradle pictures once you get them done.

Merry Christmas!

David Duke
12-11-2007, 6:06 PM
Congratulations Cliff, sounds like the familys growing pretty fast!!!!!!!!

Robert Goodwin
12-11-2007, 6:37 PM
Well, a couple of weeks ago my middle daughter asked me to make her a quilt stand for Christmas to replace the one that just broke. I was going to start it this week and then after Christmas I was going to start on a pair of cradles, one for her sister who's due in July - 3rd child - and one for her - first child. She's due in June which came as a surprise since she and her husband had been trying for years and had exhausted the fertility clinic route. In fact they had started adoption proceedings. Which is where the change in direction comes in.

The lawyer called her yesterday morning to tell her a young woman had delivered a boy the day before, was giving him up for adoption and had picked them as the parents. They're on the way to the Indianapolis area to pick up their son - she driving, he in the back seat frantically trying to assemble the baby car seat they picked up on the way out of town.

So, time to set the quilt stand plans aside for the moment and quickly start looking for cradle plans. I'm good with that.

And after hearing so many similar stories from so many people, I'm beginning to wonder that if the fertility clinics started to offer adoption services they might be a lot more effective.

And yes, this is a stealth gloat :D.

Cliff

Congrats!

I made a cradle for some friends of mine for their first child. It was a very gratifying experience. I am looking foreward to making one for my daughter someday ( She is 7, so hopefully in 20 or so years :rolleyes:). I will be a proud grandpa when that happens.

Jim Becker
12-11-2007, 7:51 PM
Congratulations to you AND your daughter and her hubby! As an adoptive parent, I can assure you that the process is absolutely without predictability or logic sometimes...you just have to go with the flow. And yes, it sounds like you need to get some priority on some cradles, including an extra one!

Cliff Polubinsky
12-12-2007, 7:55 AM
Congratulations to you AND your daughter and her hubby! As an adoptive parent, I can assure you that the process is absolutely without predictability or logic sometimes...you just have to go with the flow. And yes, it sounds like you need to get some priority on some cradles, including an extra one!

You could say it's carrying on a family tradition. My SIL is adopted. Actually, both my SIL's are adopted (and have the same last name as well. Different families.) But just the idea of 2 babies 6 months apart gives me the ... I'm not sure what. One at a time was enough for me.

Cliff

Matt Meiser
12-12-2007, 8:05 AM
Supposedly it has something to to with people giving up on being stressed out about getting pregnant. I heard similar announcements from three friends or family members within about 3 months of each other a few years ago. Each had been trying for years and were in various stages of the adoption process. Whatever it is, you can't help but be happy for them after going through so much.

Alan Trout
12-12-2007, 9:20 AM
Congradulations Cliff. I know what your daughter has been going throgh. Five years ago we started the long hard treck to get a child. 3 invetro's and 70k later we have a wonderful 3 year old boy that is my pride and joy. Have fun. My folks say they are always more fun as grand kids.

Again Congradulations

Alan

Jim Becker
12-12-2007, 11:38 AM
But just the idea of 2 babies 6 months apart gives me the ... I'm not sure what. One at a time was enough for me.

Virtual twins almost!

And I know exactly what you are feeling since we did two at once. Despite the joy at keeping/bringing bio sisters together "forever", it's still a challenge. (And for us, the older is the more "needy" of the two...and about to add, umm...hormonal influences...to that challenge)

But you know what, your daughter will do just fine, especially with the right support and encouragement. Knowing that folks are there for her and her hubby will go a long way to easing the situation.