PDA

View Full Version : carving tools for NEWBIE

TYLER WOOD
12-11-2007, 5:52 PM
Wife has expressed interest in taking up wood carving. Me being a turner, I have no idea about what is quality or not. What am I looking for in a quality starter set (not top of the line, but a good BEGINNER set)? Are there good package deals, or do I need to get individual tools? What is a decent brand? What constitutes good carving tools? Type of steel, length of handles? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Oh, my wife has barely held screw drivers in her hand. She is not an accomplished wood worker. She is a newbie when it comes to wood. But hey if it gets her out into the garage with me.:rolleyes:

Clint Jones
12-11-2007, 6:06 PM
Pfeil makes good carving chisels. I have also used the Millers Falls carving set and like them. If you go vintage try to get Addis or Henry Taylor.

Jude Kingery
12-11-2007, 6:22 PM
Hey Tyler,

I don't know a whole lot about it, but for me, it depends on if I'm doing detail stuff, (hand carving) or making something well like a sculpture (mallet and chisel). Most of my "sculptures" look like cartoon characters, but they're fun to do. Glen likes this elephant I carved out of plaster of paris and stained with instant coffee, ha!

For hand carving tools I just bought an assortment off eBay cheap, used, but decent enough, and it does fine for what little I do. For mallet and chisel, Glen bought me a real nice set of Two Cherries; and they're really nice, excellent tools. But they are pricey. So not sure if that helps you, but that's what we did and works for us. Then see, you can turn her a mallet for her carving tools! Way to go, bud!

When're ya'll going fishing again? Ok, too cold right now. Even for us, it's too cold. Have a nice Holiday season and let us know what you decided on; sure hope she enjoys it, it's fun to do some carving on the side. Most of my interest is turning, but carving can be lots of fun! Best to you, Jude

Eric Hartunian
12-11-2007, 6:24 PM
I'd stay away from cheap carving sets. You will be dissapointed, and frustrated to the point of wanting to call it quits. I have mostly Ashley Iles, and couldn't be happier. If you will be doing small, handheld type carvings like small figurines, etc, then you may consider a palm carving tool. You can get any tool in sets, just be weary the quality of the cheap sets.
Hope that helps,
Eric

Ralph Dobbertin
12-11-2007, 6:53 PM
Full sized Pfeil "Swiss Made" are the way to go in my opinion. They make all sizes and shapes and can be used by hand and with a mallet.

Sharpening will be the issue. I recommend taking a course because even the new tools tho sharp are sometimes (often) ground with an incorrect bevel angle.

Also I would not go for a starter kit but would buy whatever I thought I needed. IE: start carving and when you say "I wish I had a X" then get it.

TYLER WOOD
12-11-2007, 7:15 PM
Ok what is an x tool. I have no idea what carving tools do what. i have never carved and neither has she. We don't even know what tools would be good to start with. square, round, scoop, beveled? What shape and size tools would make a good stater set, just bought separately. I know about sharpening somewhat, as I do turning. I have the slow speed grinder, will be getting new wheels for it in a couple weeks. (white aluminum oxide) Honing tools and strop will come when I get the tools for her. I figure I will be doing most of the sharpening until she gets her feet under her carving. No need in trying to learn two hard skills.

So
Pheil-(outrageously priced)
Henry Taylor-quality? I know their turning tools are ok.
Miller Falls-antiques? are they still being made?
Two Cherries-have them locally, but know nothing about them ($95 for a 3 piece set, seems reasonably expensive, but manageable)

Are there any other good brands?

Dale Osowski
12-11-2007, 7:30 PM
This FlexCut set is ideal for beginers and advanced carvers. The tools come razor sharp and ready to use. These are high quality at a good price, http://www.flexcut.com/products/images/SK108-640.jpg

Dale

mike holden
12-11-2007, 8:07 PM
I will second the flex cut sets, reasonably priced, good quality. The sort of tool that you will keep in your ever-expanding repertoire. (if you think turning tools multiply like rabbits - boy will you be surprised and carving tools!)
Mike

Matt Bickford
12-11-2007, 8:35 PM
what kind of things does your wife want to carve? She should pick out her first project before she picks out a set. Her first set should be directly related to this project. Does she want to make a shell? It's an EASY place to start and will only need 2-3 gouges and a chisel. I would recommend against getting a predetermined set. the gouges will be $1-2 cheaper in a set, but you won't get exactly what you want.

Pick a project first and take the catalog from toolsforworkingwood.com and line up the sweeps of the project with the full size chart in the magazine. You should probably get all straight gouges and at least one 'v' (I would recommend the smallest and steepest.)

Matt Bickford
12-11-2007, 8:39 PM
"I'd stay away from cheap carving sets."

What types of problems have you run into with which brands?

Mike Henderson
12-11-2007, 9:14 PM
what kind of things does your wife want to carve? She should pick out her first project before she picks out a set. Her first set should be directly related to this project. Does she want to make a shell? It's an EASY place to start and will only need 2-3 gouges and a chisel. I would recommend against getting a predetermined set. the gouges will be $1-2 cheaper in a set, but you won't get exactly what you want.

Pick a project first and take the catalog from toolsforworkingwood.com and line up the sweeps of the project with the full size chart in the magazine. You should probably get all straight gouges and at least one 'v' (I would recommend the smallest and steepest.)
Matt has some good advice. Let me add a few things.

First, there are at least two systems for marking carving tools - the Sheffield system and what I'll call the Swiss system. They are NOT the same. In the Sheffield system, flat gouges are #1 and skews are #2. Gouges with sweep start at #3. In the Swiss system, gouges with sweep start with #2. Also, tools in the Sheffield system are usually measured in inches while tools in the Swiss system are usually measured in mm. You can mix gouges from different systems but you need to choose one system and re-mark the gouges from the other system.

I use the Swiss system. If I buy a carving tool marked with the Sheffield system, I measure it in mm and match the sweep to my existing gouges. I then mark the handle with the numbers I feel are correct in the Swiss system. For example, I have a Henry Taylor gouge that's a 3/4" #3 but I marked it as a #2/19

The very best thing she can do is take classes. Carving is one of those skills that are best learned from someone who already knows how to carve. If she takes classes, she'll have some projects and will have recommended tools for that project. Buy those tools.

Take some more classes and buy the tools for that class (that you don't already have). Buy tools as you need them.

Regarding the V-tools, I'd recommend the Pfeil #12/6 as a beginning V-tool. It's not the smallest nor the largest.

The other thing she'll have to learn is how to sharpen carving tools. You cannot carve unless you can sharpen. To do a good job, you have to be honing your tools on a regular basis while you're caving. I use a power honing/sharpening system (home made) that I put on my lathe - too much to explain here.

Then there's the issue of what wood to carve. Basswood is the traditional starter wood but others are possible. Again, too much to go into here.

But I really encourage you/her to get some instruction. You'll progress much faster and won't develop the bad habits that you will if you try to teach yourself.

Mike

Pam Niedermayer
12-11-2007, 9:22 PM
I bought a 6 chisel set of Pfeils from Woodcraft when I started carving, not so expensive, $109 for the set. And it was a good selection for starting carving small stuff in furniture, like vines, berries, shells, etc.

Pam

Mike Henderson
12-11-2007, 9:24 PM
Pheil-(outrageously priced)
Henry Taylor-quality? I know their turning tools are ok.
Miller Falls-antiques? are they still being made?
Two Cherries-have them locally, but know nothing about them ($95 for a 3 piece set, seems reasonably expensive, but manageable)

Are there any other good brands?

Pfeil are good tools and are what I'd recommend.

Henry Taylor are good tools after you do a few things to them. They are not polished (they're black from the forge). If you use them like that, the black can transfer to your hands and then to the carving. Also, I've had trouble with the edge of Henry Taylor tools being over hardened - so much so that the edge fractures when you use it. After you sharpen it a few times you get past the overhardened steel and they work fine. Probably not the best tools for a beginner.

I've not seen any modern Miller Falls carving tools and the old set I had was not very good. I would not recommend them.

Two Cherries are good tools but I don't have any experience with them.

Ashley Iles are excellent tools - same quality as Pfeil - and recommended.

Stubi are also excellent tools and also recommended.

Overall, I'd recommend you stick with one brand until you know a lot more. I'd recommend that brand be Pfeil.

Mike

Zahid Naqvi
12-11-2007, 9:27 PM
Well, I have always been interested in carving and I have a project. I am almost done with a bed I am making for my son, I do not want to cover the bed bolts with shiny metal. I was thinking a shell. So I have to make a shell, what do I need? I did buy this set (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44106&cat=1,130,43332,43334&ap=1) from LV, not sure if that is sufficient for a 3" shell.

I understand the class option, here in Arkansas that is basically a non option. I do have an offer from Todd, up in Mountain Home, to visit his shop and he will get me going.

Marcus Ward
12-11-2007, 9:37 PM
My wife has been using these lately: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Deluxe-Carving-Chisel-12-Pc-Set/H7756

and likes them. They hold an edge well (her chief complaint among cheaper tools). She has carpel tunnel so she can't do a lot of carving at once, but she's pretty talented when she gets going. I can't speak about how they will last over the long run yet but I was impressed with them right off. Caveat - I am not a carver so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. I figured at 30$ you can't screw up too badly.

Zahid, there is a guy, Jim Maxwell, who is a world famous character carver that has a shop up in Cole Camp, MO, not too far from you. That's who got my wife started. He lives here in Windsor, MO. Perhaps if you make a trip up it'd be worthwhile to spend a few hours in his shop and learn some tricks? He's a really nice guy.

Mike Henderson
12-11-2007, 9:49 PM
Well, I have always been interested in carving and I have a project. I am almost done with a bed I am making for my son, I do not want to cover the bed bolts with shiny metal. I was thinking a shell. So I have to make a shell, what do I need? I did buy this set (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44106&cat=1,130,43332,43334&ap=1) from LV, not sure if that is sufficient for a 3" shell.

I understand the class option, here in Arkansas that is basically a non option. I do have an offer from Todd, up in Mountain Home, to visit his shop and he will get me going.
There's shells and then there's shells. If you've never carved before, I would recommend a simple shell something like the one in the picture (in mahogany). I've taught one day (6 hour) courses in how to carve this shell and the students seem to be able to accomplish it pretty well - but that's with hands on instruction.

You'd need a #12/6, a #2/5, a #2/20, and a #8/4 to carve it (all numbers in the Pfeil system).

Mike

Zahid Naqvi
12-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks Marcus, that looks like a pretty good set for the money, specially since someone has already used them.

Louis Bois
12-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Don't...I repeat, DO NOT buy Auriou carving tools!!!! They're out of business now and I don't have all the ones I want yet!;)

STAY AWAY!!!

VERBOTEN!!!!

INTERDIT!!!

Steven Wilson
12-14-2007, 12:31 PM
You've received good advice so far. I highly second the notion of taking a carving class, it's a very different mind set than some of the other woodworking/turning we do. The most important skill you'll learn is how to sharpen and hone your tools. A well formed, sharp tool is easy to carve with. A poorly sharpened or formed tool is a nightmare and dangerous to use. Personally I use Two Cherries carving tools - no better or worse than others they just fit in with the Two Cherries chisels I have

Michael Hammers
12-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I started out with the Pfeil chisels and thought they did a good job. It looks like chisel prices for the likes of Stubai, Two Cherries and Pfeil are in the 25-30 dollar per tool range. I would bet the steel is all pretty much about the same or pretty close in this arena.

I was going to reccomend the Cape Forge however they have increased to around 54-68 dollar per tool now. I own alot of them and can attest to the edge retention and comfort over the Pfeil. For a beginner though I could see that being a little much.

I would highly reccomend two books by Chris Pye if you are just starting out and do not have access to classes. Woodcarving tools & equipment vol. 1 & 2 and Relief carving in wood a practical intoduction. This will help alot with understanding how to sharpen and also a confidence builder with a fish project. From what I have learned and from listening to others, dull carving tools lead to more frustration and abandonment than anything else when learning to carve.

Wiley Horne
12-14-2007, 1:20 PM
Everything Mike Henderson said--right down the line. And with a particular focus on sharpening. Even though all edge tools have to be sharp to work right, it is especially critical for a carving gouge, and gouges present greater difficulty to beginners in 'getting the hang' of how to sharpen them.

This is one other benefit of the Pfeils. They come really sharp from the factory. Now you still have to learn how to sharpen them obviously, but they're sharp enough from the factory to give the beginner an idea of what sharp actually means in a gouge--it becomes the goal of your own sharpening. Ashley Iles also come quite sharp from Joel, and I like them a lot because of their overall quality, and I like the round handles for some reason. In fact, once I get the Ashley Iles bevel ground down flatter, I prefer them. The Pfeils come with a pretty flat bevel, and I agree with Mike they're the best to start with.

Starting out with vintage gouges is frought with many difficulties. One of the things you want in a gouge is for the shoulders to be square--this will rarely be the case with a vintage gouge. The probabilities are that you will need to be expert in shaping, rebeveling, and sharpening gouges to take best advantage of the vintage gouges.

Wiley

Dave McGeehan
04-02-2008, 4:51 PM
Pfeil "Swiss Made" are my favorites. I'd strongly advise against buying a set. It's better to buy the gouges as you need them for each project. The best way to get your feet wet is to join a local carving club in your area or take a few classes.

Garry McKinney
04-02-2008, 5:33 PM
I will add a little here, only because of a simple thing about different interest. There are many types of carving, and because there is so many different types it is often up to the person to decide what might be best for that person.

Full tools can often be intimadating to a new carver . Many carvers wish to do little figures, Santa Claus and that type of carving , others wish to make pictures in relief , still other wish to do moldings, egg and dart. All the styles use the same tools, there is also the power carving, where a grinder is used to form and detail the carving.

There iare the carvings which use only a knife , and those that use chainsaws.

Let her decide what type of carving she wishes to do. That will help her decide on what tools she will want to use. If she wishes to do 6 inch tall figures while sitting in a chair , full size tools will be cumbersome, most of this style carving is done with knives. If she wants to carve chairs , then consider only the full size mallet chisels they will serve her better.

No mater what carving type she decides to do , there will always be another chisel she wants, plam tool or mirco. Many people only carve with palm tools, and have never purchased a full mallet chisel.

No mater what she choses, buy professional quality, Ashley Isles, Pfiel, Stubi, two cherries ect. There is a reason professional use these tool, because they hold up to extreams day after day.

Also a good site for beginners is littleshavers.com . Rick is a carver, he does hobos and he is a toolmaker. He gives lifetime free sharping for most of the tools he sells. And your tools will be delivered sharp.

Learning the difference between a sharp tool and one that is perceived to be sharp in an eye opening experence.

Garry

Daniel Heine
04-02-2008, 9:14 PM
Rick at little shavers has a beginners set of tools that are very reasonably priced. The great part is that when you get them, they are razor sharp, and ready to carve. Try these, and if she likes it, you can invest 1-2 thousand on the good stuff. Try this link:

http://www.littleshavers.com/BegKit.html

Take a few minutes to look around his web site. It is amazing.

Dan Heine

Corey Hallagan
04-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Some will say stay away from the cheaper tools etc. The problem I have been shown with some of these is that the angles are ground wrong etc. and are difficult to sharpen properly for the beginner for that reason. THey can be made of good quality steel but if ground improperly they won't work well.

As Daniel says above, Rick at Little Shavers has a great little kit. Rick grinds each tool carefully and they are expertly sharp when received and ready to go. The kit includes a glove, thumb guard, strop and compound, Murphy bench knife and 6 palm tools. The light colored tools in the pics I posted above are from this set. I highly recommend it for the beginner. Not only that, Rick offers free sharpening of any tool you buy from him. How many do that? I think it is a great kit to get started with and I have added to it from there. Hope this helps.

Corey

Dan Barr
04-04-2008, 9:38 AM
That's a nice seashell Mike. Very neat and precise. You can tell that it was very deliberately and well laid out.

ciao,

dan

Antoine Gautier
05-11-2013, 3:10 PM
Don't...I repeat, DO NOT buy Auriou carving tools!!!! They're out of business now and I don't have all the ones I want yet!;)

Auriou does not seem to be out of business... http://www.forge-de-saint-juery.com/