PDA

View Full Version : PICTURES: Hutch, White Oak, Waterlox finish

Dan Barr
12-11-2007, 5:06 PM
Here is the hutch ive been working on for a client. FINALLY!!! sigh.... :rolleyes:

Waterlox finish (3 coats)

Horizontal grain orientation is deliberate. (Matching desk will be the same)

Construction is all mortise and tenon, dados for the panels run into the mortises. The panel becomes part of the larger tenon to include the tenoned members.

Divider rails are through wedged mortise and tenons on top and bottom. (pretty much sag-proof. LOL) :D

rails are all 1 1/8" x 2". pretty hefty construction. ply is all 3/4" (23/32")

very robust construction. The client wanted it to be "bomb-proof" and able to last for a long time. I told him 1/2" was appropriate and he still wanted 3/4". lol :)

thanks for looking,

v/r

dan

Dan Barr
12-11-2007, 5:08 PM
more pics... :)

keith ouellette
12-11-2007, 5:11 PM
Very nice finish. Is that made to go on top of another piece, hang on a wll or stand alone?

Dan Barr
12-11-2007, 5:13 PM
it'll go on top of the desk.

the desk is 6 feet long, the hutch is 5' 5" long.

v/r

dan

Jim Becker
12-11-2007, 5:55 PM
Very nice color on that white oak with the Waterlox. Nice job on the project!

Dan Barr
12-11-2007, 6:00 PM
I like how the waterlox came out as well. I am impressed at how it darkens the wood so well. It really pops it out there.

v/r

dan

David Duke
12-11-2007, 6:02 PM
Nice work Dan, I really like the finish. Was the horizontal grain orientation throughout the clients idea or yours? Kinda gives a different look than what you normally see..............I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!

Dan Barr
12-11-2007, 6:08 PM
Yup, i thought of that too. but the client wanted the grain to match the sides of the desk which will also have horizontal grain to match the larger front panel on the desk. I guess it makes no difference other than it looks a little differerent. this client has their own ideas.

I'm also building in a gap on the front of the desk between the top and the front panel for computer cables.

v/r

dan

Robert Waddell
12-11-2007, 6:14 PM
Great looking work. I'm really a fan of Waterlox. I've done several projects using it. Matter of fact I finished up a butcher block, island top today using the satin version. Great product and easy to apply.
Rob

Robert Mahon
12-11-2007, 6:17 PM
If the rear panel is 1/4" thick, just where did you get the quarter-sawn panel?
That is absolutely stunning.

Dan Barr
12-11-2007, 6:27 PM
yup, and i got lucky basically.

i went to the lumber store (C.O. Lumber here in Colorado Springs, CO) and was digging around for a piece of 1/4" found this in the plain white oak section. they gave me a half sheet for $32.00. :D

I got lucky and a new guy cut it lengthwise for me. then the boss man came out and told him, well, we'll let it go this time, but dont do it again. :D

Dan Barr
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
It could stand alone if one so desired.