PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit problem

Bob Rufener
12-11-2007, 3:31 PM
I just purchased a WL-1115 bullnose bit from Woodline. My router table has a 3/8 inch piece of Lexan attached to the router and set in the inset on the table. My problem is that I have maxed setting my router for this bit. I have to raise the bit in the collet so that I can get the profile exposed for making the cut. I don't want to raise it too much as I realize this is a potential safety problem but, I need to raise it even more for another cut I want to make. I can make small passes with the stock but don't know how far I can safely raise it before it becomes a potential problem. Are there other solutions? Thanks for any help.

glenn bradley
12-11-2007, 3:55 PM
Rule of thumb I have read is at least 1" of shaft in the collet for a 1/2" collet router. If you need more height than this, get a different bit; its much cheaper than a trip to emergency ;-)

Lee Schierer
12-11-2007, 3:58 PM
With my FT-2000 I found that I could remove the plastic foot plate that was part of the router base and attach the metal router base directly to my router table insert. It gave me another 1/8" of travel.