PDA

View Full Version : Salad Bowl Finish Uneven Looking

Jim Eller
12-11-2007, 10:36 AM
I put salad bowl finish on my end grain cutting boards at a 50% diluted rate. The problem is, after 3-4 coats is still looks streaked.

I used steel wool on them now and was wondering what I could use as a top finish to make the surface look smooth and with an even finish. The streaks are not caused by the end grain absorption.

Before I try it, I was wondering if a mineral oil top coat would do it or just screw it up.

Any suggestions?

Jim

SCOTT ANDREWS
12-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Jim
I just made 10 cutting boards and used mineral oil only.You could try and sand the salad bowl finish off and use mineral oil.I just used an old paint brush and applied a heavy coat to all surfaces.I let it soak in until it was no longer wet looking,usually about an hour.Wipe off with an old t-shirt and they look great.The wood will darken quite a bit,but lightens up after a day or two.Using mineral oil over the salad oil may not even soak in.Good luck.

Al Wasser
12-11-2007, 2:10 PM
Jim, why put a glossy finish on a cutting board? It will get all dinged up with the knife work being done on it anyway. Just oil, walnut or mineral, or nothing an be done. If you are handy with a scrapers that would be a good way to remove the salad bowl finish. Probably easier than sanding

Steve Schoene
12-12-2007, 8:48 AM
Can you post a picture of the streaks you are talking about? I can't quite visualize the situation on this end grain.

What brand of salad bowl finish are you using? Some are just wiping varnishes, others oil/varnish mixes, yet others are concoctions containing wax or other ingredients. There isn't any commonly accepted definition for the term.

I do agree with Al that you don't want to build a film on a cutting board. All you will be accomplishing is putting small cuttings of the finish into the food. Won't hurt anyone, but the looks of the finish would deteriorate quickly.

Jeff Mohr
12-14-2007, 9:14 AM
For what it is worth, I've used the salad bowl finish and noticed the same thing. It is disappointing to say the least. The only fix I've found is putting mineral oil over the top and that seems to even it out. I would go mineral oil only but I happen to have 4 cans of the stupid salad bowl finish....got to use it up somehow.

Kent Follmer
12-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Walnut oil is a good option too. I have used mineral oil, walnut oil and salad bowl varish.

The salad bowl varish is not a bad option IF you thin it out 50%. It gets hard like the walnut oil and will give you a little better seal; the mineral oil is good, but it is more of a temporary finish.

Many people don't worry about the finish and just use the board to cut on!

Kent