PDA

View Full Version : Ripping small pieces on the table saw

David Bodkin
12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm in the middle of making some cutting boards and have a question about cutting some pieces down. Unfortunately, one of my boards is 1.75" thick and the other is 2" thick. I don't have a planer or joiner so my current way of reducing the thickness of the 2" piece is to cut it into a 12" long piece and cut it into strips needed for the cutting board. Then I lay those strips down on the table saw and cut them down to 1.75". To do this I lay my fingers over the fence to guide the piece. I'd really like another way to do this because I don't like having my fingers so close to the blade.

What are some other ways I can do this that can keep my fingers away from the blade?

Thanks,
David

Mike Marcade
12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
How long are these pieces? Can you use a push stick and featherboard or board buddies?

Jim Kountz
12-10-2007, 11:40 PM
You can make a simple carriage to move the pieces through. If your stock is only 12" long, take a piece of nice ply or even MDF and cut it say about 14 x 6. Make a notch in one long side leaving a finger about 1" by however wide you want your pieces, in this case I believe you said 1.75". Zero the finger to the blade, and push your fence up against the jig to set it up. Now whenever you put your piece in the carriage and run it through its automatically ripped to the proper width every time. Say you're working with a 6" wide piece, place the piece in the jig and run it through, slide the piece over and keep going until you have it all cut. The jig keeps your fingers away from the blade, sets the width for you so theres no measuring and makes the process safe. I hope Ive given you a good enough mental picture, kind of hard to explain I guess.

I made a quick but crude drawing and added it here --->

Danny Thompson
12-11-2007, 8:53 AM
I'm not sure if you are crosscutting down to 1.75 or ripping to 1.75.

If you are crosscutting, the answer is to build a crosscut sled.

My guess is you are ripping. If so, then make a simple push stick with a notch at one end. Lay the bulk of the stick on top of the stock with the notch at the end closest to you. Then use another scrap to keep the stock pressed up against the fence just in front of the blade (Do NOT slide this scrap up even with the blade; keep it in front of the blade).

There are a lot fancier push sticks and fingerboards to hold the stock against the fence, but here is a simple setup.

Joe Unni
12-11-2007, 5:44 PM
David,

Make or buy some type of push stick, push shoe, Gripper, Board Buddies or something.

Please, please, please don't continue until you do so - 1 3/4 is way too close to the blade!! IMHO.

Good luck,
-joe

richard poitras
12-11-2007, 6:31 PM
Cripper push block ...

http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/woodworking/unique.jpg (http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/woodworking/unique.jpg)

Robert Goodwin
12-11-2007, 6:43 PM
I second the gripper. Takes some time to setup, but I don;t have the uneasy feeling, which is bad, when making narrow cuts.

josh bjork
12-11-2007, 7:06 PM
those are some fine ways to tempt fate. I would glue the short boards together or to another longer board and then rip it. More control and safer fingers.

Earl Reid
12-11-2007, 7:14 PM
I have ripped many pen blanks with my grippers, cut some
blanks for ornaments a hour ago. No problem
Earl

glenn bradley
12-11-2007, 7:29 PM
I use Grr-Rippers but Jim's recommendation is a solid method.

Bruce Page
12-11-2007, 7:39 PM
those are some fine ways to tempt fate. I would glue the short boards together or to another longer board and then rip it. More control and safer fingers.
Josh, your way is certainly viable but I also think the Gripper is a safe alternative.
I have made a lot of ¼“ rips using mine without incident.

David Bodkin
12-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies! I'll probably go with something like Jim laid out. One question on it though. Do I need to use something to keep the stock against the side of the "sled" when I push it into the blade and as I'm cutting? Or will it stay straight without any assistance?

I've seen the Grr-Ripper and have been tempted to get one. For really small pieces like the 0.25" piece it seems great but as it'd cost more than my table saw did I was looking for a cheaper, yet also safe, way.