PDA

View Full Version : Oak Vase

Tom Keen
12-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I kept putting off finishing the shop and cold weather finally motivated me. No turning for the last few weeks. But Im back in business. Windows, heat, and decent lighting. Lots of details to do but I can get back to turning.

This is a piece of black oak, turned end-grain. 9" X 4.5". One coat of danish oil, lighly buffed.

Thanks for looking,
Tom

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2007, 11:32 PM
That is a great looking piece. I guess I am going to have to break down and turn some oak. I really like the form and detail. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Nice vase Tom! I like the lines you added - just a little detail to enhance the turning. Nice work!

Raymond Overman
12-11-2007, 12:13 AM
I like the vase a lot Tom. Well balanced, nice curves and a wonderful tuck at the bottom that really shows off the whole piece. Well done.

Alex Elias
12-11-2007, 3:25 AM
Great looking vase you got there. I was not a believer of the oak but you made that piece sing.
Question. Is the hole vase one solid piece or the center line is where you've cut the piece to holow?

Tim Gruss
12-11-2007, 7:06 AM
Very nice looking vase, The lines in it really do set it off. Thanks for sharing.

Julie Tanner
12-11-2007, 7:08 AM
WOW,

really beautiful piece.

did you turn it while it was green?

Tom Sherman
12-11-2007, 1:52 PM
Very nice Tom, the lines add some character to the piece.

Mike Vickery
12-11-2007, 2:45 PM
Very nice looking piece. I love the simple elegant shape.

Tom Keen
12-11-2007, 3:22 PM
I enjoy working with oak. Its messy but finishes nicely. I think its easier than most when working end grain. I started with a green round of wood. The pith was slightly off center. You can see the pith near the bottom - there is a small crack (CA'd) that marks it. I'm learning more about how to do these. They are made by cutting the piece in half, hollowing and then gluing the two pieces back together. Its difficult to get the glue to dry properly with green wood, it takes a full day to dry and by that time the wood has started to move. So, everything is a compromise. I try to hollow it to 1/4 of an inch thick, this seem to minimize the distortion when it dries and give me a little room to get it true and finished.

I really appreciate all the nice comments. They keep me going@

Thanks,
Tom

Pete Jordan
12-11-2007, 4:22 PM
That is a very nice piece Tom!

John Hart
12-11-2007, 7:58 PM
Yup...really nice. The form is......shall we say...Perfect.:)