PDA

View Full Version : Shellac source

Robert Goodwin
02-19-2004, 3:54 PM
Since my local Woodcraft recently closed, I was wondering where you folks buy your shellac ( in flake form ). I am nearing the finishing stage of my cradle project and am thinking of using the following:

Cherry and Maple cradle..

A few coats of BLO.
A few hundred ;) wiped on coats of garnet shellac, rubbed out to a gloss sheen.

A Few coats of wax.

Followed by a few red stripes.....

Rob

Michael Ballent
02-19-2004, 4:18 PM
Since I live in Phoenix... Have you tried Woodworkers Source... I know the prices are not great but it is fairly close to you 40th St south of Broadway. I know that Rockler at Tatum and Thunderbird carries it in flake form. Timber I located in Mesa so that may be a source. Online, Woodcraft, Lee Valley etc...

Nice to see there is another SMCer running around in the Phoenix area :D

-Michael

Carl Eyman
02-19-2004, 4:34 PM
homesteadfinishing.com I buy about everything that pertains to finishing from him. He has good stuff and is generous with advice if you get in a jam. (As I do all too frequently)

Robert Goodwin
02-19-2004, 4:35 PM
Since I live in Phoenix... Have you tried Woodworkers Source... I know the prices are not great but it is fairly close to you 40th St south of Broadway. I know that Rockler at Tatum and Thunderbird carries it in flake form. Timber I located in Mesa so that may be a source. Online, Woodcraft, Lee Valley etc...

Nice to see there is another SMCer running around in the Phoenix area :D

-Michael

I forgot about WW supply. I buy all my wood from Timber and they do not carry shellac. I will have to check that out. There is a new wood source in Tempe, one of the head guys at timber left and started his own buisness. Seems to have pretty good prices.

Rob

Michael Ballent
02-19-2004, 4:45 PM
I forgot about WW supply. I buy all my wood from Timber and they do not carry shellac. I will have to check that out. There is a new wood source in Tempe, one of the head guys at timber left and started his own buisness. Seems to have pretty good prices.

Rob

That would be the owner's son... I met him at the WW show and his prices were VERY good compared to WW Source... Not sure how good the wood is i.e. FAS or something less. I have a boat load of wood at some so I did not really look too closely at his stock... Good luck in your shellac search :)

-Michael

Dave Anderson NH
02-19-2004, 4:57 PM
I've bought shellac flakes from Woodworker's Supply (Moser brand), from Ron Hock, Woodcraft Supply, and once from Jeff Jewitt. Often now for the dewaxed blonde I just buy the Zinnser Sealcoat which is a 2# cut of dewaxed blonde and has a 3 year guaranteed shelf life. The Zinnser quality is great and is equal to the best flake grades you can buy anywhere. Unfortunately, they don't make a garnet, buttonlac, or seedlac grade or color. When buying premixed, just make sure you check out the date on the can to see if it is fresh.

Shellac= My favorite finish

Jim Becker
02-19-2004, 5:33 PM
I buy my flakes from Homestead/Jewitt, but have also used the SealCoat the Dave mentions for drawer boxes and other "sealing" uses where the blond is appropriate. I mostly use garnett, so flakes are what I prefer.

Jeff Royle
02-20-2004, 7:23 AM
www.shellac.net

Glenn Clabo
02-20-2004, 7:58 AM
And don't forget our friend Mike at Curlywoods...
http://www.curlywoods.com/shellac.html

Terre Hooks
02-20-2004, 12:06 PM
http://www.woodfinishingsupplies.com/shellac_g.htm