PDA

View Full Version : Greenlighted for a new jointer

Brent Grooms
12-10-2007, 9:33 PM
And now the headache begins... which one? what size... 8 or 12?

Common sense tells me that going with a 12in is just too big, at the same time... on paper... they aren't that much bigger than most 8in parallelogram models. The biggest problem with the 12in'ers is that they arent easily mobile and my garage/shop isnt big enough for a permanent placement.
Does anyone have any suggestions? At the moment I am leaning tward the G4090x simply so that I wont want to upgrade the head in a year or so.

Mac Cambra
12-10-2007, 9:40 PM
I have an 8" and wish I had a 12". Probably would wish for a 16" if I had the 12". I have mine on a mobile base in a garage shop. The 8" can be moved without two much difficulty, however my 20 inch planer is real hard to move by myself, it's about twice the weight of my 8" jointer to put it into perspective. I am no shrinking violet either.

One thing I would strongly recommend is a helical cutter head like the Byrd Shelix. Very happy with the cut qulity and the low maintenance in particular.

Michael Lutz
12-10-2007, 9:52 PM
If I were going to upgrade my jointer to a 12" I would seriously consider getting a combo unit such as the one made by Jet or Grizzly.

Mike

Don Bullock
12-10-2007, 10:02 PM
If I were going to upgrade my jointer to a 12" I would seriously consider getting a combo unit such as the one made by Jet or Grizzly.

Mike

I agree with Mike, but I'm very happy with my G0490 and my DeWALT 735 planer.:D

Justin Bukoski
12-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Brent, have you thought about a jointer/planer combo? you can get the 12" jointer, free up the space your current planer takes up and even sell the planer to offset the cost.

I've heard good things about the Griz J/P combo and I owned a Griz jointer in the past that I was very happy with. I can tell you though, when I had an 8" jointer I really wished I had a 12" but now that I have a 12" (part of a 5-1 combo machine) I rarely find the need for more than 12"

Let us know what you do!

Mike Marcade
12-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I have the same setup as Don, but I don't quite have my G0490 running yet. :o

Pat Germain
12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Bibb Tool is once again offering free shipping on the Shop Fox W1741. It's an 8" for $886, which is a pretty good deal. I'm very happy with mine. It comes with built-in mobility.

http://www.bibbtool.com/shop-parallelogram-jointer-with-76516-table-220v-single-phase-p-746.html

It shows as currently out of stock, but if you call Bibb Tool, they can tell you when they're expecting their next shipment. They are very nice folks there.

Of course, if a 12" or a combo unit is in your budget, that's also a good way to go.

Joe Mioux
12-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Dollar for Dollar, the j/p combo is hard to beat, especially the new Grizzly.

Mike Marcade
12-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Bibb Tool is once again offering free shipping on the Shop Fox W1741. It's an 8" for $886, which is a pretty good deal. I'm very happy with mine. It comes with built-in mobility.

http://www.bibbtool.com/shop-parallelogram-jointer-with-76516-table-220v-single-phase-p-746.html

It shows as currently out of stock, but if you call Bibb Tool, they can tell you when they're expecting their next shipment. They are very nice folks there.

Of course, if a 12" or a combo unit is in your budget, that's also a good way to go.

I'm pretty sure the shop fox W1741 is the same unit as the Grizzly G0490. The G0490 is currently $869 with freight included.

Paul Joynes
12-10-2007, 10:17 PM
You may be interested in Laguna Tools new Platinum Line of Combo machines.

http://www.lagunatools.com/platinumcombo.htm

The price point of the 10" looks very interesting.

Paul

Justin Bukoski
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
The only thing I would caution about 10" is that if you plan on doing any resawing with a bandsaw you can usually go to about 12" (with a good size saw or riser blocks). Having the extra two inches on the jointer really comes in handy if you ever do resaw a 12" width.

John Bush
12-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Just got back from the Griz showroom in Bellingham(picked up a G0531 and a new compressor, actually the BS is too big and heavy to lay on its back in my trailer and I didn't want to drive 1 1/2 hrs on the freeway with 7+ ft. and 700+#s of iron standig up behind me. It will be delivered Wed.)
and had the chance to see the selection of jointers. I have the 0609X on order but almost bought the 8" 0593 because I didn't want to wait any longer. After fondling them I decided to stick with the 12"er. They all look like great machines but the 12" matches my planer and there have been too many times when I really needed the extra width. If you can swing it I would go with the 0609 or 0609X(spiral head ~~$400.00 difference). They had a couple of 10" jointers but the price wasn't that much lower.
A visit to the showroom is quite an experience, but can be a bit spendy!! Good luck shopping.

Steve Gayle
12-10-2007, 10:32 PM
I have the Shop Fox 8" and just upgraded my head to the Bryd Spiral. Love it. Easy to set up and the people at Shop Fox were great to deal with. I just bought a 18" bandsaw from Steel City. It is much better than the Delta that I was looking at.

Hope this helps.

Steve Gayle
12-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Try getting heavier casters. my 20"planer is not a issut to move or is my 14 x 40 lathe

David Tiell
12-10-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the shop fox W1741 is the same unit as the Grizzly G0490. The G0490 is currently $869 with freight included.But keep in mind the Shop Fox comes with an extra year of warranty (2 vs 1 for the Griz) for that additional $17.

David Tiell
12-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Actually, if you go to this ebay auction (260180035858), Bibb has the Shop Fox W1741 for a buy-it-now price of $842.33 with free shipping. Probably still have to wait if they are out of stock, but they are showing two different auctions at that price.

Mike Marcade
12-10-2007, 10:58 PM
But keep in mind the Shop Fox comes with an extra year of warranty (2 vs 1 for the Griz) for that additional $17.

Interesting, I was just throwing out another option, I didn't know about the warranty difference. :o

Mike Marcade
12-10-2007, 11:00 PM
But keep in mind the Shop Fox comes with an extra year of warranty (2 vs 1 for the Griz) for that additional $17.

Interesting, I was just throwing out another option, I wasn't aware that Shop Fox had a better warranty. :o

Allen Bookout
12-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I have the 8" GO490 and really like it but it is limiting, however the price was right at the time. I buy rough sawn that is just over 11" wide. Should have gone with a 12" model and I would have never been sorry. I say that if you have the funds and space go 12" minimum with something. It still works if it is to large but will not work if it is to small.

Mike Marcade
12-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Whoops! Double post. :o

Brent Grooms
12-11-2007, 5:08 AM
I really need to see an 8 and 12 side by side. Anyone know of a dealer that might have say either shopfox or delta in stock in michigan?

Pat Germain
12-11-2007, 7:55 PM
Comparing the two sizes is a good idea, but I've never seen a 12" in a showroom. My local Woodcraft told me anything over 8" was considered "industrial" by Delta, so they didn't carry anything over 12". They said they could order it, but would have to say it was for a school, or something. :confused: It had something to do with warranties and support.

Allen Bookout
12-11-2007, 7:59 PM
My local Woodcraft told me anything over 8" was considered "industrial" by Delta, so they didn't carry anything over 12". They said they could order it, but would have to say it was for a school, or something. :confused: It had something to do with warranties and support.

That is really wild! Three of my major tools are Delta but sounds like they may not want my business anymore. There's more than one place to buy a tool.

Pat Germain
12-11-2007, 8:14 PM
^^ Agreed. I think Woodcraft has dropped Delta in favor of Steel City, anyway. I've never seen a 12" Steel City jointer at Woodcraft, but perhaps they're more readily available than the Delta machines.

Brent Grooms
12-11-2007, 8:19 PM
I spoke with grizz earlier today and I dont think the 12in is in my cards at the moment, the mobility factor is going to be key with 7'6" of tables in a 2car sized shop. They dont have a mobile base that will work with it and advise against putting it on one. I wont rule out the idea of a combo machine because it is small enought that I can position it to be somewhat stationary and it is light enough that I can get it on a mobile base if needed. I need to spend a little more time squeezing the turnip to get a bit more green blood to give more options...

Paul B. Cresti
12-11-2007, 8:54 PM
Brent,
Depending on how much "green blood" you get out of that turnip of yours do look at a nice J/P combo. There are many companies to consider: MM, SCM, Felder, Hammer,Format, Laguna, Knapp, Casedei, Rojek, Kufo, Jet, Grizzly.....and many more. I still have a 16"er and it also is my horizontal mortiser, so it serves three functions. This baby is around 1000lbs or so so it ain't small but it does have a mobility kit which works quite well. One other thing to really consider is a Tersa head....really really really nice

Joe Mioux
12-11-2007, 9:47 PM
Brent,
. One other thing to really consider is a Tersa head....really really really nice

That tersa head is the only reason I chose a MM over the competitors, ie, Griz.

joe

p.s. I am pretty confident that I would have been very very happy with the the new Griz combo, but it wasn't quite available when I wanted it.

stacey martin
12-11-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't even have a jointer. Trying to get the wife to agree on one. Thought I would get a 6" one to learn on and if I stay with woodworking someday an 8" jointer would be on the list. Every one says to get the 8" now and your talking about a 12" jointer. :eek:
Good luck
Stacey

keith ouellette
12-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I have seen a show where the wood worker had a 16" jointer. Who wouldn't want one if they had the room but I would ask myself if I intended to glue up boards wider than 8". If i understand it correctly you are better of gluing up narrower boards so a wider jointer wouldn't be as useful. I do find having a twenty in. planer very handy after glue ups. Maybe think of spending the extra money there.

Steven Wilson
12-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Keith, a jointer wider than 8" comes in handy. With highly figured woods it's nice to use a skew cut on the jointer. With a 6" or 8" wide board a 14" or 16" jointer is about the right size for a skew cut. I find the width of my 14" jointer most useful for flattening turning stock I've rip cut with the chain saw prior to making a bowl blank on a bandsaw. Finally it's very handy for preparing those choice wide boards that really make a project.

keith ouellette
12-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Keith, a jointer wider than 8" comes in handy. With highly figured woods it's nice to use a skew cut on the jointer. With a 6" or 8" wide board a 14" or 16" jointer is about the right size for a skew cut. I find the width of my 14" jointer most useful for flattening turning stock I've rip cut with the chain saw prior to making a bowl blank on a bandsaw. Finally it's very handy for preparing those choice wide boards that really make a project.

Are you talking about putting the board through at an angle to minimize tear out. (if you are I am glad i know what its called now. Thanx) I have to admit I hadn't thought of that. At my level I'm not using any figured wood yet. Good point.

Brent Grooms
12-12-2007, 7:06 AM
if I go with an 8in, I know a byrd or helical head will be in my future if not on the machine as delivered, then while the machine is being assembled.